DD at a lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^^ it's not jsut a running start to the swing it is the begining of the swing or release of energy if you will. I think big take away is to get away from this "false" exaggeration of knob to the ball with the pivot point being somewhere way out front

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
^^^^ it's not jsut a running start to the swing it is the begining of the swing or release of energy if you will. I think big take away is to get away from this "false" exaggeration of knob to the ball with the pivot point being somewhere way out front

This is the description that gets me everytime.

The release of energy would mean ‘launch’ correct? I don’t see the barrel getting behind a hitter as ‘launch’.That would be an early release or dump of the barrel imo. I see the hands coming forward as swing launch.

As far as to far out in front aka knob to the ball. This all depends on the pitch location. Inside would be a later release, more out in front. Outside would be an earlier release with a deeper contact point. Get the knob inside the ball to a release point would be the correct technical term.

Sep 29, 2014
Again we are probably just talking past each other...the point I am talking about is the point at which the rearward or even just holding or stretch (again pick the term you want) stops and we release stored energy, the "knob to" exaggeration teaches that it's a short quick forward movement but in lots of elite swings it starts with turning /tipping the barrel as the first move.

Honestly I get the feeling if we both looked at a swing we would instantly be able to see if it was a "good " swing even though we seemed to want to describe things differently...sorry can't see tweets...filtered on this computer

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

I disagree that would be like saying Bonds and Matt are doing the same thing.. Even Rich says Bonds floats the barrel. Bonds doesn't whip the barrel until he's fyb into both legs..

3wLHMQV.gif

gphrSbI.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Do you think Altuve is ‘torquing’ the handle here?

I don’t mind a ‘tip’ of the bat away from the arc. I don’t teach it. But i think it’s a nice running start and preload to the ‘load’ of the barrel aka radial deviation. A tighter arc of the barrel if you will. Needs to be done during retraction of the scap to be effective imo

I really would chalk that up to style though. Or advanced ‘hands’. Jmo.

The barrel is rotating from the get go so there really is no way to tell one way or the other. If you think that torquing the barrel is important you will say yes, if not then you will say no. How is that for a non-answer? :LOL:

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The barrel is rotating from the get go so there really is no way to tell one way or the other. If you think that torquing the barrel is important you will say yes, if not then you will say no. How is that for a non-answer? :LOL:

That was a long wait for a very inefficient answer. 😆 I was hoping you would hold still long enough so I could throw a proverbial punch😆 🥊

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
The bat is outta plane for along time. The hands are on plane for along time. You are saying to dump/release the barrel early which makes the swing non-adjustable. Kendrick doesn’t plane the barrel early. Hottest hitter in the playoffs. Maybe Altuve is hotter.

On plane for a short time????? It sure looks like the bat got on plane at his back leg (deep)and continued on plane past contact. What more could you ask for? And he turns the barrel really well too! (know upward)

Jun 8, 2016
That was a long wait for a very inefficient answer. 😆 I was hoping you would hold still long enough so I could throw a proverbial punch😆 🥊
Long for me..luckily I answered when I did or else my inefficient answer would have taken longer since I went to the field to hit and field with the kids after I answered ;)

Jul 29, 2013
There are 3-4 definitions of TTB. The one I advocate for your DD already does. You actually were teaching her to ‘drive her top hand’ which loads the barrel(Radial deviation).notice the whip at the release of her barrel? Really good! Could it be a bit better? Yes. It is something that happens when the swing sequence is in order naturally when you use your hands correctly.

When her load(scap retract) posture is fixed, the bat path will improve. The pullback with the hands and the early reach with the foot is causing the ‘leveling’ issue. She’s a bit outta sequence/balance.

Your dd is a pitcher right? What happens when a pitcher gets stuck on the backside? Same but different.
Turning the barrel isn't four definitions but rather it is a term that is often applied incorrectly. It is actually only one movement that involves pronation to supination of the wrist. No radial or ulnar deviation or wrist flexion. They are low level moves.
One thing I find with TTB is the adjustability isn't so important as other movements because it is such a fast move that it can be delayed until the correct bat path can be determined. One of the benefits of really fast swing is that speed eliminates the need to commit early .

corlay, post: 533373, member: 8915"]
just kids? <g>

Whipping (or "turning") the barrel head to the ball just isn't an intuitive movement for most.
Take anyone who hasn't swung a bat much and ask them to "swing" it.
Almost invariably, they immediately drop the barrel flat behind them and push the hands forward,
and pull or "drag" the barrel into contact.
[/QUOTE]
I think it's defined as a "push" swing but the barrel certainly does get dragged until it turns to contact.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
On plane for a short time????? It sure looks like the bat got on plane at his back leg (deep)and continued on plane past contact. What more could you ask for? And he turns the barrel really well too! (know upward)

You said back shoulder release earlier. The hands are at the midline as the barrel finally comes into plane. Much different than your description.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28