DD at a lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I appreciate your views on the swing. When I say around his body. I meant the hands have to get toward the center of the chest on an inside pitch. They might still on the right side of his body, only they get toward the center of his body on an inside pitch location.

Shawn, yes the hands need to be free to get into the best position to whip and barrel up.

Ihwjoah.gif

8O8THFi.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Trying to make it difficult for me to respond by embedding your response in my text..bast*%#$ ;)

"LOL. State something with a disclaimer is a bit inefficient. Yes? :LOL:"

My point was that basing one's opinion on a swing theory from viewing drills used to exaggerate a certain feel that the swing theory promotes is not a good idea. Latta does a lot of work where he just moves out to 50/50 without doing anything else. Should I assume that in his theory you don't swing a bat... :sneaky:

"I see it as the core pulls the hands and the hands pull the bat. In laymen’s terms. The barrel is released on the tightest arc possible to be short to and long through. "

Right, that was what I said one view was..e.g. hands are "dead" with regards to moment being applied to the handle and only "the pendulum in the car effect" rotates the barrel.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Every hitter TTB. Some early and they hit the ball deep in the zone. Others TTB as they swing and hit the ball more out front. Few have the barrel pre turned. G. Brett. Coaching young ladies with weak forearms to aggressively TTB would be a nightmare. I have my DD practice TTB so she can feel the pivot point more than any other reason.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Trying to make it difficult for me to respond by embedding your response in my text..bast*%#$ ;)

"LOL. State something with a disclaimer is a bit inefficient. Yes? :LOL:"

My point was that basing one's opinion on a swing theory from viewing drills used to exaggerate a certain feel that the swing theory promotes is not a good idea. Latta does a lot of work where he just moves out to 50/50 without doing anything else. Should I assume that in his theory you don't swing a bat... :sneaky:

"I see it as the core pulls the hands and the hands pull the bat. In laymen’s terms. The barrel is released on the tightest arc possible to be short to and long through. "

Right, that was what I said one view was..e.g. hands are "dead" with regards to moment being applied to the handle and only "the pendulum in the car effect" rotates the barrel.

I wouldn’t say the hands are ‘dead’. They have intentions. Mainly direction and an indirect loading pattern which is dictated by the direction of the swing.

Makes for an adjustable release throughout the entire zone. Up, down, in, out, front and back. Whatever the pitch dictates.

Jun 8, 2016
I wouldn’t say the hands are ‘dead’. They have intentions. Mainly direction and an indirect loading pattern which is dictated by the direction of the swing.

Makes for an adjustable release throughout the entire zone. Up, down, in, out, front and back. Whatever the pitch dictates.
"dead" with regards to moment being applied to the handle

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"dead" with regards to moment being applied to the handle

Do you think Altuve is ‘torquing’ the handle here?

I don’t mind a ‘tip’ of the bat away from the arc. I don’t teach it. But i think it’s a nice running start and preload to the ‘load’ of the barrel aka radial deviation. A tighter arc of the barrel if you will. Needs to be done during retraction of the scap to be effective imo

I really would chalk that up to style though. Or advanced ‘hands’. Jmo.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I really like Matt's breakdown here start just before 6 minute mark for the turn the barrel part.

Barry, releases/floats un-tips the barrel behind him which is also used to counter the forward move into his legs stretching the core. So its used for timing as well as a running start into the swing.

3wLHMQV.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802