DD at a lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Get the entire front arm to the level of the shoulders and use physics to swing the bat naturally and efficiently. The torso is the axis around which the bat should swing.

In reality, the swing involves multiple pivot points, which makes things very complex. The barrel actually rotates around the hands, but the location of the hand pivot point is affected by other actions which cause that pivot point to move. The concept of working on a tilted plane around the torso is important, however.

Nov 8, 2018
There are 3-4 definitions of TTB. The one I advocate for your DD already does. You actually were teaching her to ‘drive her top hand’ which loads the barrel(Radial deviation).notice the whip at the release of her barrel? Really good! Could it be a bit better? Yes. It is something that happens when the swing sequence is in order naturally when you use your hands correctly.

When her load(scap retract) posture is fixed, the bat path will improve. The pullback with the hands and the early reach with the foot is causing the ‘leveling’ issue. She’s a bit outta sequence/balance.

Your dd is a pitcher right? What happens when a pitcher gets stuck on the backside? Same but different.

Ok I’m getting somewhere. She’s doing something ok. Lmao.
Can you explain a little depth the foot reach and the scap retract.
I thought the elbow is supposed to go straight back toward her back. Which I thought she did. Or is it the timing of it. As far as the foot reach I’m not sure what you mean.
Also, I do see her left elbow should be higher. Tends to drop around contact. Are we in sink there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes. But the goal is NOT a circle. The goal is to be direct to the ball. Smallest circle possible. We have all seen their practice swings. The bigger the circle, the longer the swing. A longer arc is only desired on low and low and away pitches.

One area you and I differ is that you want the shortest path to the ball. I want the shortest time to the ball. We agree that a short and direct hand path is important. I would guess that our vision of hand path is probably identical. Where we differ is in barrel path and how the hands are acting on the handle. I want the hands to start accelerating the rotation of the barrel immediately, rather than moving the knob forward first before rotation begins. In all cases, the barrel has to rotate from start position to contact. Hard acceleration of the rotation from the very start will get that rotation happening the shortest amount of time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
@DrRiello - A word of caution...Do not take all of this new information you are learning and dump it on your DD until your have sorted it out for yourself. There are many different viewpoints on hitting mechanics, including some which are in conflict with each other. Asking your DD to do this, then that, then this other thing...oh, look, some new info! Now do that! - is a recipe for frustration, confusion, and not a lot of progress.

Nov 8, 2018
Scap retraction....Make the action of drawing back a bow. Can you feel your shoulder blade (scapula, scap) pinch toward your spine? That's the move we are talking about.

Ok. Is she not doing that? Appears so.

Nov 8, 2018
@DrRiello - A word of caution...Do not take all of this new information you are learning and dump it on your DD until your have sorted it out for yourself. There are many different viewpoints on hitting mechanics, including some which are in conflict with each other. Asking your DD to do this, then that, then this other thing...oh, look, some new info! Now do that! - is a recipe for frustration, confusion, and not a lot of progress.

Copy that. Can’t teach what I don’t understand. Trying to understand the different styles. Need to pick the best for dd. Just like pitching. Went with IR after plenty of research and understanding what would work best for a 5’5” 98lb girl. The most efficient way for Dd is the best. She is not a beast and needs to use leverage and mechanics to get power and accuracy. IR pitching is working. Hoping to get some solid info here. Alittle more complicated with all the differences being talked about.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ok. Is she not doing that? Appears so.

I can't see from the video you have shown us so far. I'm of the belief that scap retraction should be maintained while the barrel is being turned to contact. It's not a pull-back/push-forward movement. Scap retraction is critical for linking the torso to the hands - "connection".

Try this for yourself...Retract your scap. Now turn your shoulders. Your hands have no choice but to go along for the ride. They are CONNECTED. Now, let go of the scap tension. Your hands are now free to roam around the cabin. How will you get the power being generated in the torso to the bat if there's a flexible connection between them?

Nov 8, 2018
I can't see from the video you have shown us so far. I'm of the belief that scap retraction should be maintained while the barrel is being turned to contact. It's not a pull-back/push-forward movement. Scap retraction is critical for linking the torso to the hands - "connection".

Try this for yourself...Retract your scap. Now turn your shoulders. Your hands have no choice but to go along for the ride. They are CONNECTED. Now, let go of the scap tension. Your hands are now free to roam around the cabin. How will you get the power being generated in the torso to the bat if there's a flexible connection between them?

I understand what you mean. She’s doing it but not holding it. Thanks.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I understand what you mean. She’s doing it but not holding it. Thanks.

Keep in mind that the swing works out from the rear shoulder, not around the torso. This was a huge revelation to me the first time I understood it.

Look at any good hitter. Watch the location of their hands in relation to their body. It is not until well after contact that the hands cross the centerline of the body in front of the chest. The entire swing happens on the right side of the body, working out from the rear shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802