DD approached to play lacrosse; good idea or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
DD is a 2022 catcher. She was approached today at school by one of her teachers, who is the Head Coach of the Varsity Lacrosse Team. He basically begged her to consider coming onto the team next year (e.g., a year from now; her junior year) to play goalie. I'm guessing the current goalie must be a 2020 and graduating.

i know exactly ZIP about lacrosse. Does being a catcher somehow translate into the same skill set for a goalie? We're in GA, so we play HS softball in the fall and HS lacrosse in the spring. There wouldn't be a conflict in that sense, although spring lacrosse season could potentially conflict with some TB practices and tournaments. If she were to consider doing this, she'd have to make it clear that softball has precedence in the case of a conflict.

Is this a good idea? College coaches wax poetic about multi-sport athletes, so maybe it would be a good thing. More conditioning can't hurt either. I just don't know enough about lacrosse to help her make any type of informed decision.

Oct 4, 2018
You're wise to be cautious...

I'd tend to lean on the "it's a good idea" side, but only if you're not missing travel ball (fastpitch) lessons and games.

The conditioning she'll get from lax is great, and the hand/eye stuff can't hurt either. But in my opinion (I have a nephew who played lax goalie at Princeton) there's not too much in common. Might even be some conflicting issues as you stop the ball with a stick several feet from your hand, not a glove on your hand.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I do not think being knowledgeable in lacrosse or understanding if being a catcher translates to lacrosse goalie will help you help her. If the HC of the lacrosse team is begging her to play he clearly believes she can play the position.

The real decision here is whether her playing lacrosse affects her softball goals. Who knows, maybe playing lacrosse opens up new opportunities for her. Maybe she will fall in love with it.

I'm not a huge fan of saying you'll play but then having caveats as to how the other sport will always take priority. That could create a bad atmosphere, especially with her being a new player on the team.

Good luck to her though in whatever the decision is.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I do not think being knowledgeable in lacrosse or understanding if being a catcher translates to lacrosse goalie will help you help her. If the HC of the lacrosse team is begging her to play he clearly believes she can play the position.

The real decision here is whether her playing lacrosse affects her softball goals. Who knows, maybe playing lacrosse opens up new opportunities for her. Maybe she will fall in love with it.

I'm not a huge fan of saying you'll play but then having caveats as to how the other sport will always take priority. That could create a bad atmosphere, especially with her being a new player on the team.

Good luck to her though in whatever the decision is.

If this year's schedule is any indication of what next year's might look like, I don't think it would be too much of a problem. I only see one regular season Saturday game; several Friday evening games. I think we would just have to get with her TB coach re: weekday practices and conflicts with that. Several girls on her travel softball team run track, so I know he's open to kids doing other things.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What does your DD think about it? Your DD might have fun.

The issue is really about your DD. My DD#1 lived for softball.

My DD#3 lived to compete...she didn't care about the shape or size of the ball. She wanted to compete. She played a sport in every season of HS, and loved doing it. It was fun.

How many games will she miss and how many games does she play?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
What does your DD think about it? Your DD might have fun.

The issue is really about your DD. My DD#1 lived for softball.

My DD#3 lived to compete...she didn't care about the shape or size of the ball. She wanted to compete. She played a sport in every season of HS, and loved doing it. It was fun.

How many games will she miss and how many games does she play?

She's interested. She kind of wanted to do it in middle school. I think it would probably be fun. She doesn't want to do anything, though, that could bump her to secondary catcher on her TB team. She probably just needs to discuss it with her TB coaches. Of course, this is all assuming she'll be on the same travel team next year (she has no intention of leaving, but you never know what could happen).

Jun 4, 2019
I know nothing about lacrosse, can’t stand it personally, but If she wants to play, let her do it. I’ve never seen a downside from playing multiple sports.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
My competitive softball playing daughter loves lacrosse. They are not goalies so all the running and pounding wears the body down but they are experiencing life. She definitely pitches better when lacrosse season winds down.

May 6, 2015

I think the opposite, as long as it is done respectfully. telling the coach upfront, sure, I'll give it a go, but my travel softball comes first, is letting the coach know up front that in case of a conflict, he will need an alternative. if this is unnacceptable, he can always decline and say if that is the case, no thanks. it is merely a matter of all parties being up front about what they are thinking from the get go.

May 29, 2015
My oldest daughter had the soccer coach approach her with a similar scenario her junior year. She had been a full-time volleyball player for almost two years at that point. Our only experience with soccer was when the bakery put soccer balls on her birthday cake instead of volleyballs (they thought they were close enough).

She became their starting goalie, was honorable-mention for all-conference, set some school records, and ended up getting a soccer scholarship for college (after a volleyball team blow-up her senior year).

Not only is another sport a great thing, but you never know where it will lead. You already mentioned keeping her priorities straight and being honest about it — that’s good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12