DD and faster pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2008
DD1 (10)has a problem I am not sure I can solve. She has hit the ball better this year since going to hitting instructor . Me pitching baseballs at 35-40 mph she hits, pitching machine 48mph hits. Real pitchers 35mph range hits great, ober 40mph She prefers to stand there and take walks. Mind you she is not stepping out and says she is not afraid but I am not sure how to get her out of this and swing.

I have told her if she strikes out swinging every time I have no problem as she is being aggressive. But this standing when she is capable is killing my wife and me. DD2 and 3 are not afraid to swing and not as good as 1, so I am baffled. Any suggestions? DD3 throws 35mph so that does not help.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I see this frequently. My daughter will do it on occassion. Especially at the start of a new season. IMO it is caused by a fear of failure or just not being comfortable at the plate because dad's like me are always trying to perfect their daughter's mechanics. I tell my daughter that when she is in a game that her swing, "is what it is", and not to think about anything she has been working on.

IMO the best way to get them to swing is to do lots of batting practice and in some cases tell them to flat out swing at anything close to the strike zone.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I always bribed my DD. She used to want packs of Pokey Man cards.

You can try that, but after that, I wouldn't mention it to her anymore. Just let her play (but keep throwing her soft toss.) I would forget the machine.

Dec 10, 2008
I agree with you on the machine. Only reason we used it this week was I cannot throw 45mph that She was going to see and wanted her to get used to speed.

When i figure it out i will let you know. LOL. I think it is part fear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28