DD All Conference in Fall Sport, JV in softball-how to deal with this in letters to college coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
DD played on JV last spring. During the parents meeting last year he said, "I have freshmen who should be playing varsity, and upperclassmen who should be playing JV, but I'm only putting upperclassmen on varsity." DD is one of two girls in the school who plays for a showcase team.

She played a fall sport and made All Conference in that sport both years.

When writing a letter to a college coach should she mention the fall All Conference Honors without mentioning school softball, or should she not mention the fall sport if she is not mentioning softball?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think you mention the all conference honors other sport and currently playing softball for the school. Dont mention V or JV. Of course mention her showcase team too.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I think you mention the all conference honors other sport and currently playing softball for the school. Dont mention V or JV. Of course mention her showcase team too.

Do you think it is likely the college coach would not be bothered by the fact that she didn't make any honors in softball?

May 29, 2015
Colleges coaches know the ins-and-outs that can happen to players, just like admission boards recognize the disparity in student rankings.

For example: To graduate in the top 10% of my HS class, you had to be #1, 2, or 3. 54 students graduated in the top 10% of my wife’s HS class.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen girls go on to play college ball who:

1. Never played varsity softball, or...

2. Did, but rarely left the bench

I certainly wouldn't worry about what coaches will think about whether your freshman DD is playing varsity.

May 6, 2015
different sport, but had a recruiting expert tell me that DD1 could not play HS at all in this sport, and it would not matter. I think with some exceptions (FB), HS is generally dead for recruiting.

Aug 2, 2019
Colleges coaches know the ins-and-outs that can happen to players, just like admission boards recognize the disparity in student rankings.

For example: To graduate in the top 10% of my HS class, you had to be #1, 2, or 3. 54 students graduated in the top 10% of my wife’s HS class.
To be in the top 10% of my graduating class you had to be the valedictorian!

Sep 29, 2014
Wouldn't worry about it at all, you can just say attending xx high school, All Conf in other sport as a freshman. Not many freshman anywhere get all conference anything in HS. In HS stuff happens one of my DD friends never played varsity even though she regularly beat all the other HS varsity pitchers during travel ball....she couldn't pitch varsity because there was an All State DI recruit that pitched us to the playoffs every year in front of her...she did end up frustrated though and quit softball her senior year all thogether and got a volleyball scholarship instead.

May 1, 2011
What's going on at the high school isn't going to be of much interest. There are way too many factors that play into that. Some coaches REFUSE to put a Freshmen on Varsity. There's a high school in our conference (in Texas they're called districts actually) that has 6...YES I SAID 6...pitchers that are all committed to play at the next level and 4 of them are going D1 (Texas, ULL, Texas State, Michigan State). The girls going to Texas and Michigan State are juniors, and this is their first year on Varsity because 2 other D1 pitchers just graduated. They are battling for a State Championship every year and are currently ranked in the Top 5 in the country. The head coaches at Texas and Michigan State weren't worried about that I can assure you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse