DD#3 Pitching Clips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
My DD#3 just turned 9YO and started her first year of TB and rec ball. She has been taking pitching lessons for about a year now and I'm really taking it easy with her. She LOVES softball & we are trying to just let her have fun. However, in her first rec game she had 4Ks in 2 innings and only gave up 2 runs. I just love watching her pitch. Every night at home, its "Dad, can I pitch to you?" I have a good time catching her.

I think she dips a little, but she's working on it. Of course this is a 4 seam fastball. However, she tells me she can throw a change up, 2 seamer, and "horseshoe"...She is very proud of her hard work. Her PC is working with her on those...Gotta love it!

Mar 13, 2010
WOW. You should be extreemly proud of her! I struggle with pictures for some reason, but she looks like she has her basics down very well.

It does appear that there's a slight lean towards the end (I really can't tell you if it's front or back, I really have terrible eye sight) but it might be my eyes playing tricks on me.

Tell her to keep it up! And definitely impressed she has the two seam change up at nine. I know from experience that it's a hard ball to throw.

Jan 27, 2010
Love the determination, effort and focus she displays. She is doing a fine job and should be proud of what she has accomplished thus far.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is great. I thought at first, she was going to finish in a "power L" but then, she shifts and goes to internal rotation.

There are things that you can do besides pitching to fix a forward lean. (I didn't see much.) Horseback riding lessons fixed 2 of my students - but skating lessons, dance and gymnastics, will also. It is all about core strength.

At the end of my pitching lessons, I say "OK, go throw 10 stork drills into the fence and you are done." That way the girl is nearing exhaustion and still gets a chance to work on her balance and staying back.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Her timing is very good. Try and get that stride foot to land at 45 degrees, it's at 90 degrees in this pix.

Also, try and work on having a slight bend in the elbow all the way through the arm circle. Her elbow looks straight and locked until the end of the circle.

Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for all the great input. She is such a competitor. Over the winter she wanted to do competitive swimming. The little pip-squeek ended up getting 4 medals at regionals & 3 medals at state. The best medal was the "spirit" award from he swim club coaches for an 8YO. Hopefully the swimming helps with the core strength, too.

I will have her do the stork drill...

Jan 31, 2011
Thanks Hal. I noticed the elbow was locked, too. I downloaded the John Gay pitching packet yesterday & I've been reading about the "whip" action. Its great stuff. I will talk to her about her stride foot, too.

Jan 27, 2010
I believe swimming is the best exercise you DD can do to help the overall physical development. I would suggest she swim laps with overhand motion, the butterfly, breast stokes, dog paddle and backstroke. Not all in one outing, but mix it up on her visits to the pool.

Last edited:
May 11, 2009
BB875 - WOW very nice!! She is a spark plug for sure. She really looks good and comfortable. Hope she is wearing purple soon!:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478