DD 11yr old batting practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
In the image Shawn provided, you'll see her hands come forward with her step. It's really tough to get it right, but those hands should stay back, creating a stretch. At least that's what our hitting coach and many here say. My DD struggles with it too.

Also, the video was in rapid fire mode. I prefer batting practice to be a little more disciplined. Get into your stance, take your time. Her feet were in different starting positions almost every pitch.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Also, the video was in rapid fire mode. I prefer batting practice to be a little more disciplined. Get into your stance, take your time. Her feet were in different starting positions almost every pitch.

This is a bigger deal than many people realize. BP pitches should be spaced enough to at least allow the hitter to get fully set again. Even better is to give them enough time to go through their entire pre-swing routine, just as they do when batting in a game. Establishing consistency is important.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In the image Shawn provided, you'll see her hands come forward with her step. It's really tough to get it right, but those hands should stay back, creating a stretch. At least that's what our hitting coach and many here say. My DD struggles with it too.

Yeah if these clips are at the same frame rate. Then she is coming forward to soon, part the load, weight shift, and then swing pattern. Her swing is taking longer to execute, a longer swing where the hands start to soon. Sheffield on the other hand is "staying back" and creating a greater stretch as you suggest.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
BTW, I do like the girls swing. Not to bad all in all. She can get better, while watching at full speed the swing gets somewhat weak at contact and then the exaggerated follow through to finish the swing off. I think she just needs to refine her swing a little.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, what are your thoughts on her pre-loaded arms?

I like the idea of being lightly pre loaded, and then there's being relaxed so the core/hips/torso creates the energy for the swing. Hard for the upperbody to follow the lead of the core if their to involved. I like the idea of the thorax being stable so the arm can work against the stability.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like the idea of being lightly pre loaded, and then there's being relaxed so the core/hips/torso creates the energy for the swing. Hard for the upperbody to follow the lead of the core if their to involved. I like the idea of the thorax being stable so the arm can work against the stability.

Thank you Shawn.

Regarding 'pre loaded' ... I like to see the rear arm having comfortable throwing structure.

Does this girl satisfy your thoughts on "being lightly pre loaded"?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
To the OP. Your DD has some good movements. Reminds me of Bianca Bell from LSU. I wouldn’t change much. Maybe get the hand path tighter for the inside pitch. As far as being forward to soon. I reserve judgement.Her COM is balanced in the gif above. This practice clip is obviously rushed as others have said. Do you have any game clips?

Search ‘net’ drill on you tube to get a tighter hand path on the inside pitch.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Momentum base swing that doesn't take use of the momentum:
tumblr_pjyhhotuiV1usf292o1_400.gif

Reminds me of a BR trained hitter.

Bell-Low-Gif.gif

Except Bell Doesn't SWING all her WEIGHT to her front side/leg. So, no not even close to the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28