DD#1 Swing Comments or advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
Below is DD#1's skills video. She is a junior and 2013 grad. Any advice on tweaking her swing would be appreciated. She has a wide stance, but that is what she likes. SHe had a very good HS season last season & not bad on her club team.

I am looking to help her improve during the off season. (Hitting is first in the video, fielding 2nd) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
That's an interesting video as it shows her in a lot of different situations doing a lot of different things. Obviously a very talented player and maybe you haven't gotten feedback since she looks pretty darn good out there.

First couple swings, maybe drops her hands to hit the low pitch. Nice homers!

I like how she stays loose and gets some rhythm going in her stance.

A lot going right. I like her fielding and throwing form.

Interesting batting cage work. Was she specifically working on hitting outside pitching? Her stance is closed and her back foot is pointed slightly back. She pulls off a couple, but then drills that one back at the camera person apparently.

The first home run swing is awesome. If there was one thing about her swing it's the way the wrists roll a tiny bit early and out front, which causes her to top some balls. On the home run she hasn't broken her wrists yet. Just two cents from a dad.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
On second look it also appears she is breaking her wrists on the balls she tops in the batting cage. On the line drive into the camera she doesn't.

Jan 31, 2011
Thanks a lot Mr T. She does pop up a lot, I appreciate the comments & it gives us something to work on this winter. She works very hard at her softball skills.

May 11, 2009
Great feedback Mr T!! BB875 we can work on her wrists doing some backhand drills. I would love to work with Megan more she is a lot of fun!!

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
She can gain more bat-speed by loading the rear arm and elbow more (much like a throw). The rear elbow should rise to around the height of her hands as she loads. This gets her top hand and back side into a strong position to "throw" the barrel through the ball with more velocity.

In the stance the front elbow should be slightly lower than the rear elbow. When loading the lower half, she should also be loading the rear arm/elbow. This will help to limit the roll over ground balls and foul tips on pitches she should hammer.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Five, yes that was very interesting. There is something going on with the way the swing finishes that must have something to do with upstream action, but I can't put my finger on what's going on exactly.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Nice Jim.

What did you think of the low hand finish in the game swings?

It looks to me like a lack of length through the hitting zone. She seems to cut herself off through contact possibly in an effort to stay "short" with her swing.

I think that if she properly loads the rear arm and elbow for the "throw", the length through the zone would improve and the finish would not be so low.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802