DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Same issue here as well. She has no sense of 'throw' from the left side. She instead pins her rear upper arm to her side and attaches it to her torso's rotation.

afex5h.gif

For players switching to lh, we start every session by throwing a smaller size football with their left hand. We do it from their batting stance and focus on turning the nose so that it isn't a push action. Seems to help get some coordination into the off left arm as well as strength.

That makes sense.

I used to get a fair number of kids that had been turned over to left side by the HS head coach. The mentality there was that the kid couldn't hit from the right side, so he figured they should be put-the-ball-in-play slappers and at least have a slight chance of getting on base against a weak defense.

Thing is, from my perspective, a slapper is still responsible for learning how to swing away. The mentality of switching them to the left side because they couldn't hit makes it even more challenging for the kid.

May 3, 2014
Good job with the clips Chris.

Notice the difference of the hips. The Alabama players hips have not gone into extension even though she has turned her pelvis open. A cue to stay on top or lean forward instead of leaning back may help the young hitter with the rear elbow getting pinned.

Nov 5, 2014
I know there was some disagreement about the value of the Mota 2 tee drill but I thought it was worth a try especially since CP felt it helped his daughter. Elbow is still pinned to the side. Have a feeling that is a habit that will take awhile to break but she is more aware of it now and does have a few swings where it is not as pronounced. Here is a Mota drill side view from last night.

Nov 5, 2014
And a rear view. This was right at the end, told her I wanted her to swing really hard. Wanted to see if that would make her knock the back ball off. She did not but almost came out of her shoes with the hip thrust.

Nov 5, 2014
Same issues.

Just a reminder ... at no point in the swing should the hands be below the point of impact.

24zyhzr.jpg

I am blue in the face asking her to keep her hands up. Any suggestions on drills to help with this. I think it is so locked in to her muscle memory she does not even realize it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802