DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Can she perform an overhand or sidearm throw from the left side?

Any video of her swinging from the right side?

She can not throw from the left side at all. Ugly I mean really ugly. Don't have any right side video. She has not taken a swing righty since we made the switch. Interestingly she was a more consistent hitter as a righty but has more power as a lefty. Despite the significant swing flaws she has improved a great deal from the left side.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She can not throw from the left side at all. Ugly I mean really ugly. Don't have any right side video. She has not taken a swing righty since we made the switch. Interestingly she was a more consistent hitter as a righty but has more power as a lefty. Despite the significant swing flaws she has improved a great deal from the left side.

This swing here is not going to work against good pitching.

As for being powerful, not only am I not seeing much energy being created, but the efficiency of energy transfer to the barrel is on the low side.

I'd work on developing a swing that will consistently square the ball ... and that isn't the swing you've shown us here.

Why was she converted over to the left side?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Being able to have functionality in the upper rear arm is important from a throwing perspective.

Here Yeager speaks of how the elbow becomes worked to the ball, not to the rib cage.

A swing that routinely traps the rear elbow into the side of the body isn't going to scale well.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I see, she is a slapper.

If her running speed is towards the top end, then I suppose this makes sense.

Slapping is demanding ... she should master the soft slap, hard slap, drag bunt ... and IMO, she is still responsible for learning how to swing away.

She's going to struggle to learn how to swing away. She doesn't have a throwing pattern at the moment, and looks to have a limited sense of body awareness from the left side. It will be a project.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
She also slaps but I wanted to make sure she learned how to hit from the left side as well. Way too early to lock in as only one thing in my mind.

Ben,

Can you get video of her slapping? Just off a tee is fine.

I'm curious as to how her rear elbow functions when she's slapping.

Merry Christmas!

CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And the medium tee:

Same issue here as well. She has no sense of 'throw' from the left side. She instead pins her rear upper arm to her side and attaches it to her torso's rotation.

afex5h.gif

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Same issue here as well. She has no sense of 'throw' from the left side. She instead pins her rear upper arm to her side and attaches it to her torso's rotation.

afex5h.gif

For players switching to lh, we start every session by throwing a smaller size football with their left hand. We do it from their batting stance and focus on turning the nose so that it isn't a push action. Seems to help get some coordination into the off left arm as well as strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802