DBSFA-(Drop-Barrel-Swing-Flat-Anonymous) a FFF thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Maybe this will help ....

ek2umb.gif
[/QUOTE

Very cool. I have to admit I need you to spell out clearly what it shows me and what you would recommend we try and change. Thanks for the help.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just pointing out a lack of pre-impact extension and that this swing mostly is the 'swinging' of the upper body. I suppose that is one way to 'swing' in the sagittal plane ... but it is not a 'throw' ... far from it.

Based on your earlier comment it seems like you are interested in the hand path. Not sure what you were trying to draw, but the hand path here is not good.

We "attack from the top". At no point in the swing should the hands be below the ball.

5nnrq0.jpg

Nov 5, 2014
Just pointing out a lack of pre-impact extension and that this swing mostly is the 'swinging' of the upper body. I suppose that is one way to 'swing' in the sagittal plane ... but it is not a 'throw' ... far from it.

Based on your earlier comment it seems like you are interested in the hand path. Not sure what you were trying to draw, but the hand path here is not good.

We "attack from the top". At no point in the swing should the hands be below the ball.

5nnrq0.jpg

Totally agree with the lacking any extension. She overcompensated from an all arm casting swing when she first turned around to lefty. Now she always looks like she is jammed and the swing is almost all hips with the arms just coming along for the ride.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
What things would make it easier for her to improve her swing? Maybe start by lowering the tee to belt level, get her feet lined up straight instead of at 45 and get it so she strides her front toes in line with the ball. She's all out of whack, so get the fundamentals right and then work on the swing changes.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Totally agree with the lacking any extension. She overcompensated from an all arm casting swing when she first turned around to lefty. Now she always looks like she is jammed and the swing is almost all hips with the arms just coming along for the ride.

That's what the swing looks like ... Someone just beginning to learn to swing from their non-dominate side. It can be tough. Have to learn to heighten a sense of body awareness for using the opposite side.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Would like to see video of the swing with the tee in the correct position. Where she is set up on tee is causing probs.

For a middle pitch put it just inside of her front foot. Everybody might not agree on that but a good place to start.

And agree tee is too high.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Would like to see video of the swing with the tee in the correct position. Where she is set up on tee is causing probs.

For a middle pitch put it just inside of her front foot. Everybody might not agree on that but a good place to start.

And agree tee is too high.

We work with high medium and low tee. The high tee is supposed to help with keeping the hands up. Think I picked up that from a post here. I will take some move the tee further out front and take some new video. Here is a swing with the low tee:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Same issue. She pins the elbow to her body and relies on the upper body being rotated.

iyion7.gif

Can she perform an overhand or sidearm throw from the left side?

Any video of her swinging from the right side?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
And the medium tee:

You might want to try this. Move the tee straight across till it almost touches her foot. Or move the tee straight back till even with her back knee.

Being able to square up to the ball, means one must know where the optimum contact point would be for that given pitch. Inside /outside, High / low

i am not there, so all these locations are very dependent on your dd and the tee.

Some here disagree on this but i show my players what i mean by squared up, and have them square up to the ball as i move the tee around.

I consider this squared up for low inside Hips%20unloaded.jpg

north_dakota_st_arizona_st_softball_300.jpg square up

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802