daughter's over the top drop problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2013
derby ks
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=h9a2unWnJcU[/video]

my 13 yr old daughter had to take some time away from her drop ball because of bad mechanics creating pain. we know what caused that issue and have fixed that but know we gave lost the drop and looking for help. anything would be appreciated

Oct 14, 2016
Stand tall, watch that elbow (dont let it fly out away from her body) and make sure she finish that pitch on inner thigh when comes over the top of the ball to create the spin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She bends her knees like she should be throwing a rise ball. Stay tall, shorten her stride and get up on her tiptoes then down as her hand comes over the ball at release.

Jul 22, 2015
In my opinion one of the most critical aspects of pitching that HAS to be mastered before establishing top speed and consistency is the realization that the pitcher should NOT be making any forward effort with the upper body, but should be focused on the idea of whipping the ball down. My DD hasn't completely mastered it, but it has helped some to consistently work on this mindset, and to imagine that she is on roller skates and the signal to whip the ball down is when she hits the wall (front side resistance). Just something that works some for us.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
but should be focused on the idea of whipping the ball down.

This suggests that the hand is on top of the ball at 9. But, the hand is under the ball at 9...so, how do you whip the ball down?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B6PW4DCqbW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep 29, 2014
this can be fairly typical...everyone of course is on target. It seems like she is trying to bend over to avoid brush and clear her hips, thigh out of the way...stand tall and embrace the brush!!

Jul 22, 2015
[MENTION=332]sluggers[/MENTION]- Definitely NOT with your hand on top of the ball. I'm talking about creating a lag by leading the downward movement with the elbow and using typical IR mechanics to create whip (or whatever your chosen phrasing is) but making certain the effort is more about pulling the ball down than pushing it forward. One pitching coach has the pitchers work on throwing pitches into the ground just in front of their plant foot to get a feel for eliminating that forward pushing effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28