Daughter wants a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2019
My daughter is currently playing 10u house ball in one of the better leagues in Northern Virginia. She was chosen as an "all-star* alternate because the coach wanted the coach's dau on the All-Star team

Long story short, my daughter, isn't a world beater but she can rake. She, at 10u, in a house league where most hits don't go to the outfield can hit to the outfield once a game.

She's a good little pitcher, loves playing catcher, and can play 2B or SS. My question is, how do I or should I have to tell her coach she's leaving the team?

Her team has a lot of daisy pickers and dirt drawers. She's told me daddy I want to be on a better team.

When she moved up from 8u she was put on this team. Her old coach has space for her. It's a better team. WAY better. Do I need to apologise or explain why we are leaving?

I was going to tell the coach, I appreciate you but my daughter wants to move teams. While I like you my loyalty is to her. Does that seem ok?

Apr 28, 2019
My daughter is currently playing 10u house ball in one of the better leagues in Northern Virginia. She was chosen as an "all-star* alternate because the coach wanted the coach's dau on the All-Star team

Long story short, my daughter, isn't a world beater but she can rake. She, at 10u, in a house league where most hits don't go to the outfield can hit to the outfield once a game.

She's a good little pitcher, loves playing catcher, and can play 2B or SS. My question is, how do I or should I have to tell her coach she's leaving the team?

Her team has a lot of daisy pickers and dirt drawers. She's told me daddy I want to be on a better team.

When she moved up from 8u she was put on this team. Her old coach has space for her. It's a better team. WAY better. Do I need to apologise or explain why we are leaving?

I was going to tell the coach, I appreciate you but my daughter wants to move teams. While I like you my loyalty is to her. Does that seem ok?

Apr 28, 2019
House ball? Never heard that term before. You have absolutely every reason to find a better team no apologies needed.
It’s all about having fun and improving skills. Thank the coach for his time and move on.

Apr 26, 2019
House ball? Never heard that term before. You have absolutely every reason to find a better team no apologies needed.
It’s all about having fun and improving skills. Thank the coach for his time and move on.

""House ball" is the term they use for rec league. They want it to be a "fun" league but will groom and pull players to be on the travel team.

My daughter knows, she told me, she got jobbed, not being a straight up "all-star". The coaches daughter can't hit, or field.

She did get to play as part of an alternate "all star" squad against another league and thrun ruled them.
àqàq1
The coach was from another team from her league. He was head and shoulders better. She told me "Daddy, these girls want to win
like me and take it seriously."

Thanks for the confirmation. Whilst we have a friendly relationship with her, she's not what my daughter wants or needs. She wants and can do better

Apr 28, 2019
""House ball" is the term they use for rec league. They want it to be a "fun" league but will groom and pull players to be on the travel team.

My daughter knows, she told me, she got jobbed, not being a straight up "all-star". The coaches daughter can't hit, or field.

She did get to play as part of an alternate "all star" squad against another league and thrun ruled them.
àqàq1
The coach was from another team from her league. He was head and shoulders better. She told me "Daddy, these girls want to win
like me and take it seriously."

Thanks for the confirmation. Whilst we have a friendly relationship with her, she's not what my daughter wants or needs. She wants and can do better
Very common for coaches and asst coaches to get preferential treatment in our area. If you coach or help out your daughter will make All Stars. I’m ok with that when coaches kids are best players. Problem is some are entitled little whiners who don’t earn or deserve the recognition.
But hey my Dad coaches so I can do no wrong!!!
Finally saw a good example at travel ball practice of how things should work.
Coach is very tough and her daughter is very good all around player. She will play D-1 softball in college.
Daughter talked back to the coach during practice and coach sent her to the dugout after she put her in her place. Kids gotta learn I’m Dad/Mom at home I’m coach at the field. You will listen and do as your told like all the other players. It was good to see. Unfortunate that kids try and take advantage of their parents and push the limits.

Sep 28, 2017

With travel tryout season approaching, it sounds like your DD is ready to move on from Rec Ball. Find a few reputable travel orgs in your area not affiliated with a league and take her to some tryouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2019
With travel tryout season approaching, it sounds like your DD is ready to move on from Rec Ball. Find a few reputable travel orgs in your area not affiliated with a league and take her to some tryouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll talk to her about it. She may well want to go that route. I know she's ready for a change and wants teammates who are at least interested in being there.

Jun 12, 2015
We moved to travel when DD got bored with rec. She played on the rec all stars team in the summer before 2nd year 8U. We went back to rec for one season and she was so bored. So for the spring we moved to travel and she was much happier. If the season is over, nothing to apologize for. Maybe thank him for all he's done to help her become a player who's ready for travel ball.

Apr 26, 2015
Like grcsftbll we moved to TB once DD was bored with rec. The girls on her rec team no longer wanted to warm up with DD because she threw too hard. DD was exasperated because what should have been easy plays never were because everyone was afraid of the ball and wouldn't/couldn't catch it. We moved her to a TB team and she thrived. DD's rec coach was so supportive of her moving on. He recognized that she was ready - she played for him for 2 years and now, 5 years after leaving he still comes to her TB games, her basketball games, and her track meets, and he asks her every year to come back and lead clinics for his new crop of rec players. We definitely credit her rec coach for giving her a love for the game.

Definitely nothing to apologize for! A good coach will support and recognize her need to move on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad