Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
QUOTE="clemenslee1, post: 530917, member: 16043"]
I agree that the supination/pronation is a quicker and stronger move. I see most MLB players today us mostly supination type swings movements. Yet you see a lot of old timers use a combination of both more in line with what Antonelli promotes.
[/QUOTE]
I think it's important to note the relative movement ranges.
In radial/ulnar deviation the range is only 75 degrees or so.
With pronation/supination the range is more like 180 degrees.

The ability to view this rapid motion in 1000 fps video allows us to see exactly what's happening and I think it's why there will be more and more hard hit balls as folks buy into the theory. There will always bethe conventional theorist hard-heads who will find exceptions where someone like Trout goes yard with less than optimal efficiency, failing to take into account his size and athleticism.
My dd used to complain about my pursuit of perfection in her swing. With her power she could hit towering pop ups that would go yard and low line drives with the same result. Ultimately, when she faced higher and higher level pitching, the flaws were exposed.

Is DiCarlo doing the Antonelli, or the Washington with tilt?
Washington with tilt.

Jun 4, 2014
Had a lesson this week with a previous instructor. I feel really good about some corrections and drills she's received. Now it's just a matter of putting some work in.

Jul 6, 2016
First, the gif I posted is "full size," not a thumbnail. It's just a small source, but I think there's enough there to see what I'm talking about.

Daughter is a tee warrior. She goes to college camps and gets lots of attention when there's tee work, and the coaches use her to demonstrate proper technique. She gets in a game, though, and everything goes south. The back hip stops and she becomes disconnected, all arms and her head pops up. Much to our chagrin, the tee swing does not translate to her live swing. I don't know much about the RVP connection point thing, but it looks like she's almost there before the bottom half shuts down.

How do we change this??? (Please don't say "turn the barrel" -- I've been on this forum for years and still cannot figure out what that is supposed to mean)

(She experimented with a split grip this weekend after seeing it on TV, but I don't believe that impacts the fundamental issue)

View attachment 14307
During tee work or batting practice, the player is planning on swinging at the stationary ball or at every pitch during batting practice. She’s ready, loads then swings. Unless she plans on swinging at every pitch during a game, problems will occur. Every batter should plan on swinging at EVERY pitch unless a ball is thrown out of the strike zone. Set, load and swing or set, load and hold. The worst thing a batter can hear is, “ don’t swing unless it’s a strike.” The mindset should be, “swing unless it’s a ball.”

Nov 13, 2019
Your daughter doesn’t understand how the back elbow and arms work at swing initiation. Somewhere she has been taught to swing down, which causes all sorts of problems, not to mention it sabotages he kinematic sequence (ground up). I have some good drills that would help her. Email me at kenbrooke7@gmail.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802