Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The forearm is the hand path fix. If you are pulling the elbow back like a bow, and have a flat forearm at toe touch, you are at nirvana.

I don't think her hands are at her belt at toe touch. Surely not. Her hands can be absolutely anywhere before toe touch.

Jun 4, 2014
The forearm is the hand path fix. If you are pulling the elbow back like a bow, and have a flat forearm at toe touch, you are at nirvana.

I don't think her hands are at her belt at toe touch. Surely not. Her hands can be absolutely anywhere before toe touch.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm talking about after toe touch. She gets to toe touch with the flat forearm, but then on the swing, after toe touch, hips stop like always and hand path is down to belt.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I'm hoping the other changes will fix that.

The only other thing to look for is to make sure she's using a box grip. Line up the rings, not any knuckles.

hitting-grip-line-up-rings.jpg

Aug 20, 2017
I would get her to pull her front knee slightly to belly button to help feel inward coil. Compress front hip against back hip. Looks like her front knee just goes outward which will prevent coil on traditional stride hitters. She should feel tension in back butt check when done appropriately. Make sure the back knee does not move back over back foot during the knee lift. If it does you will not achieve inward coil

Jun 4, 2014
I'm hoping the other changes will fix that.

The only other thing to look for is to make sure she's using a box grip. Line up the rings, not any knuckles.

hitting-grip-line-up-rings.jpg
I verify she does this, but it still does not look like others. I can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2014
Well, we've worked this hard for 5-6 weeks without any signs of moving in the right direction. We've picked up a couple important things from all of this (like flat forearm at toe touch, inward coil/not opening the front hip), none of which are helping with hip turn or hand path. And to be fair, I don't thing the suggestions here are designed to help with those issues.

We need to change focus. If we tell her to swing only to extension, she can produce a good hand path and a have a contact point that doesn't include her front arm pinned against her body.

This is what I mean in reference to the front arm (I don't have a still of my own kid doing this):

When my kid does full swing, her contact point looks like this--front arm pinned to her side and hands at her belt:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Well, we've worked this hard for 5-6 weeks without any signs of moving in the right direction. We've picked up a couple important things from all of this (like flat forearm at toe touch, inward coil/not opening the front hip), none of which are helping with hip turn or hand path. And to be fair, I don't thing the suggestions here are designed to help with those issues.

We need to change focus. If we tell her to swing only to extension, she can produce a good hand path and a have a contact point that doesn't include her front arm pinned against her body.

This is what I mean in reference to the front arm (I don't have a still of my own kid doing this):

View attachment 14666

When my kid does full swing, her contact point looks like this--front arm pinned to her side and hands at her belt:

View attachment 14668
This ball has gotten way too deep! Actually this doesn’t look bad for a ball that has gotten so deep. Due to being so late she hasn’t got time to get hips to rotate. Good timing produces contact just inside the big toe. Her hands have to work down to the ball some before they begin to work up with good timing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478