Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Where is it(stretch)
20190611_181628-gif.14318

Right now...hands and reaching front leg.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The rear forearm looks better. Pulling like a bow. good.

Still no inward coil of the hips (you're going from open to even). Exagerate this like crazy. (It is hard to coil the hips in using the tee, most just coil the shoulders like you) Try to simply rotate the hips and shoulders together.

Still reaching with the front leg/knee. better, but not good [try to hold/move the front knee up/back during the coil inward.]

The heel is staying down. good

With an MLB swing, you will be making contact typically approx at the ball of the front foot. So move the tee back to ball of foot after stride, maybe 2-3 inches. Outside pitches are at the front heel. [almost everyone gets the tee positioning wrong]

You still have some bat drag (I think). I think you're not getting much barrel turn when the back elbow drives down. Maybe practice (isolate) just bringing the back elbow down and notice how the bat head moves - it should move backwards at the same rate. Make sure you eliminate any slack in the top/back wrist. Make sure you are using a box grip, not door knockers. Finally, always be thinking that you must keep the hands ahead of the elbow throughout the swing (this is not to mean you push the elbow forward). This, plus the other changes, and proper coiling will fix bat drag for good.

There seems to be a frame missing in the video from heel plant to contact, so can't tell what's going on there. But, honestly I wouldn't worry about post toe touch right now. Get the stride right and the rest will follow. Try to get the ball to lift above tee height, not to the ground, or level.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Alright, the tee warrior thing is currently a lie. I think there's some improvement in the things you suggested. Let me know if it looks like we're making any progress. It's not yet translating into any downstream progress though. It sure seems like she's way too steep down to the ball. More help please!!View attachment 14318

Your bucket 'solution' is the problem -- to clear her back heel she is shifting onto her front leg and rotating around it in her tee swing in order to avoid hitting the bucket (Rdbass can provide some rear-leg drivers that *look* like they are squishing the bug but actually not). How does she get rotation in her tee swing? See her *front foot *rollover in her tee swing? it's because she's on carpet she's able to do that and thus complete her rotation around her front leg). With the pitched ball, by comparison, she is shifting out to her front leg, her front cleat is getting weighted, catching on the ground and 'blocking' or stopping her rotation.

Take heed of what Pattar is trying to tell you about the rear leg and Rdbass about creating stretch and (some of) what efastball is describing about reaching with her front leg 'stride' vs. forward by coil and a 'get in the way to get out of the way' move. You can't fix her with bandaids, need to start with a better base. It's all here on this site. TTB too -- tight hand pivot point once you get the lower working right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45