Dante Bichette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
If you compare the first movements in all 3 swing types, aren't all of the bats moving downward? In the case of the "down to" guys, their demo swings don't match their game swings but the focus is on getting the barrel down. That means getting the barrel down with speed, behind the ball and that happens to match what they do in games.
So in a way, all 3 swings are the same, but the guys swinging the bats get there using different mental paths.

No it is different.

It is clear to DeRosa the difference. That is why he asked Donaldson "so you are up there guessing a lot?".

If you plane early with the hands you are committing early. If you commit early and guess right, BAM get out of here. However, if you have to adjust as the HOF's do then you are screwed. Donaldson even has said in his interviews he doesn't worry about batting average. That is why.
Same with TM. Early commit = possible more power for the sake of adjustability.

ARod has made this clear why this is a big deal. During the season you will not see the best pitchers often. So the watch me guess right and hit a dinger works. Come playoff time, you need to get on base. You are now facing the best pitchers giving their best. Contact matters in the post season. The Down to approach is going to lead to higher averages, with maybe less homeruns, maybe? So why have a great season approach that will fail you come playoff time?

Donaldson made it clear, they don't pay me for singles, they pay me for doubles and homers. Effective season strategy. Playoff loser.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Donaldson, Bichette Sr and Molitor respective stats. The stats show their averages for a 162 game schedule.

Maybe my goal as a coach is to find what works best for each individual counting on me.

YRSPAABRH2B3BHRRB1SBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPS
10​
697​
597​
102​
163​
35​
2​
34​
100​
6​
1​
87​
138​
0.273​
0.369​
0.579​
0.878​
14​
652​
607​
89​
181​
38​
3​
26​
108​
14​
7​
34​
102​
0.299​
0.336​
0.499​
0.835​
21​
735​
654​
108​
200​
37​
7​
14​
79​
30​
8​
66​
75​
0.306​
0.369​
0.488​
0.817​

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think JDs approach is to pull or do damage. Not let it travel too much. I think the greats are the same. There is a recent mlb network clip w Dante sr. saying something about that. Just not sure how to find it.

All the greats have that great inside-out pull swing. Of course there are exceptions. But very few.

Jul 29, 2013
No it is different.

It is clear to DeRosa the difference. That is why he asked Donaldson "so you are up there guessing a lot?".

If you plane early with the hands you are committing early. If you commit early and guess right, BAM get out of here. However, if you have to adjust as the HOF's do then you are screwed. Donaldson even has said in his interviews he doesn't worry about batting average. That is why.

ARod has made this clear why this is a big deal. During the season you will not see the best pitchers often. So the watch me guess right and hit a dinger works. Come playoff time, you need to get on base. You are now facing the best pitchers giving their best. Contact matters in the post season. The Down to approach is going to lead to higher averages, with maybe less homeruns, maybe? So why have a great season approach that will fail you come playoff time?

Donaldson made it clear, they don't pay me for singles, they pay me for doubles and homers. Effective season strategy. Playoff loser.

I don't agree. Why is down to more adjustable? (I don't think anyone can adjust the path with any authority once the barrel is launched)
If both swings start from zero mph then starting at the same time should allow both to get to contact at the same time. Getting on plane deep means later contact and more time to watch the ball flight. The commitment is later in the pitch flight and earlier on the possible swing path so the batter gets to see the ball longer. Down and thru is later on the possible swing path and out front/ earlier on the pitch path requiring an earlier commitment time-wise.
TTB allows a longer swing path and time so it is possible to develop more bat speed. That's where the power comes from.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't agree. Why is down to more adjustable? (I don't think anyone can adjust the path with any authority once the barrel is launched)
If both swings start from zero mph then starting at the same time should allow both to get to contact at the same time. Getting on plane deep means later contact and more time to watch the ball flight. The commitment is later in the pitch flight and earlier on the possible swing path so the batter gets to see the ball longer. Down and thru is later on the possible swing path and out front/ earlier on the pitch path requiring an earlier commitment time-wise.
TTB allows a longer swing path and time so it is possible to develop more bat speed. That's where the power comes from.

Bold above is the key to adjustability.

Nov 16, 2017

Bobby,

One player planes "turns". the barrel real early in the launch with the hands. Then turns into the pitch. Their path is set early and once the turn starts they are committed to that path.

Second player doesn't plane the pitch until their hands have crossed the COM. The player still has the ability to actually use their hands to make adjustments. HOF Down to approach.

Donaldson has said it himself. "The hands are done". So if the hands are done are you going to adjust with posture, tilt, etc. Good luck with that. haha. However, this method does work. But it doesn't lead to real high BA and all other numbers. Once again I love some JD. But If I had to pick JD over Trout to teach me to hit... Well you chose.

You have got Cruz who has hit more homers than anyone over the last decade and the best player of this current generation (Trout) and both of those guys preach down to. Why is everybody so hell bent to prove (those HOFers) don't know what they are doing\talking about. I just don't get it. You would think they had the formula to Coke. And just to keep the Coke formula secret, they are giving out disinformation.

They are telling you exactly what they are doing. But is is still hard as hell to hit a round ball with a round bat. You can try the shortcuts, Tewks, TM and do them to your hearts content. They will give you success, but they are not and never will be what the best do.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
I think JDs approach is to pull or do damage. Not let it travel too much. I think the greats are the same. There is a recent mlb network clip w Dante sr. saying something about that. Just not sure how to find it.

All the greats have that great inside-out pull swing. Of course there are exceptions. But very few.

Do you think Tony Gwynn was thinking do damage every time? Is he one of your exceptions?

I have played a lot of ball. When I went up to do damage, I didn't do well, when I went up to hit a base hit, I often hit a HR.

Once again I love Josh Donaldson, but do damage Josh or Tony Gwynn and I would rather be Tony.

Hey this guy hits .230 but got 40 HRs. Or hey this guy hit 20 HRs but hits .305. Who would you choose? Or who would you choose if it was the playoffs?

Feb 25, 2020
No it is different.

Bobby,

One player planes "turns". the barrel real early in the launch with the hands. Then turns into the pitch. Their path is set early and once the turn starts they are committed to that path.

Second player doesn't plane the pitch until their hands have crossed the COM. The player still has the ability to actually use their hands to make adjustments. HOF Down to approach.

Donaldson has said it himself. "The hands are done". Great, and that does work. But it doesn't lead to real high BA and all other numbers. Once again I love some JD. But If I had to pick JD over Trout to teach me to hit... Well you chose.

You have got Cruz who has hit more homers than anyone over the last decade and the best player of this current generation (Trout) and both of those guys preach down to. Why is everybody so hell bent to prove (those HOFers) don't know what they are doing\talking about. I just don't get it. You would think they had the formula to Coke. And just to keep the Coke formula secret, they are giving out disinformation.

They are telling you exactly what they are doing. But is is still hard as hell to hit a round ball with a round bat. You can try the shortcuts, Tewks, TM and do them to your hearts content. They will give you success, but they are not and never will be what the best do.

It's hard to judge this. You cited postseason stats and its hard to find a big name player (other than an astro) who bats above .275. Jeter benefits from his large sample size I think(he was around .300). Bonds averaged .245 in the post season. Just about everyone I looked at is around .260 or .270.

I'm not trying to make a statement other than JD and Aj are not playoff losers. They seem to be pretty decent.

I dont disagree with your philosophy, I'm just not convinced bu your justification.

Nov 16, 2017

It's hard to judge this. You cited postseason stats and its hard to find a big name player (other than an astro) who bats above .275. Jeter benefits from his large sample size I think(he was around .300). Bonds averaged .245 in the post season. Just about everyone I looked at is around .260 or .270.

I'm not trying to make a statement other than JD and Aj are not playoff losers. They seem to be pretty decent.

I dont disagree with your philosophy, I'm just not convinced bu your justification.

It is not my theory, it is what ARod says.

4:31

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802