Dante Bichette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
JD made it clear what TTB was. Why would he? Was he getting feedback from other players/coaches/people saying it’s for a rearward launch etc? Hmm. I find it quite obvious bc he says this after Judge blew up and explained what TTB is to him. So JD explained himself, prolly not wanting to be mixed up w Judge and such. That’s subjective. I’m really trying hard to not make it another thread about you know who so...

The first vid JD did w Derosa, he didn’t talk much about the barrel but his movements and how to take slack out. He mentioned ‘splitting his head w the barrel’ basically. The other few vids he didn’t mention TTB much either. He talked about ‘planing’ w his arms etc.The more recent vid is about TTB but in more detail. Why the need?

Jmo at the end of the day.
Yeah JD has always been willing to share and talk about the technical aspects of hitting, more than most MLB'ers. I don't think there was any kind of agenda, just JD breaking down his swing in detail.. same as he did with Derosa. He did talk about barrel path in that video as well and went into detail about it.. for example how he would attack the high inside pitch compared to what Derosa was taught back in the day. JMHO

Nov 16, 2017
Yet, somehow, MLB hitters are able to hit up in the zone.

How do you have a 'loop' if your back elbow is close to your torso?

I was specifically referencing what the guy was demoing at 1:42. So are you saying this is how Trout swings?

How do you have a loop if the bat is close to your torso? Really? Drop you hands that is how.

This is classic drop your hands, if you teach this, good luck my friend. DBSF to the max. Look at this pic and imagine the ball being at his front elbow. Big loop and you miss.

1599516084989.png

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I not sure JD put this video for this reason, with all due respect that seems a little far fetched to me. But he does indeed say the rearward movement of the barrel(what Bichette is illustrating above) has nothing to do with power.

In my opinion the most important aspect of TTB is creating barrel path. At least the way I look at it. I can't (won't...) speak for others.

Nov 16, 2017
The funny thing with this debate to simplify it you have 3 camps IMO:

Down to: Bonds, ARod, Pujols, Trout. Softball: Romero, Chamberlain

TTB to plane: Tewks: Donaldson, BlueJays, DiCarla

TM: TTB for instant bat speed. Judge

All 3 will work.

I love me some Donaldson, one of my favorite players, however, looking at the list above.......

It is what is is.

Reactions: TDS
May 12, 2016
I was specifically referencing what the guy was demoing at 1:42. So are you saying this is how Trout swings?

How do you have a loop if the bat is close to your torso? Really? Drop you hands that is how.

This is classic drop your hands, if you teach this, good luck my friend. DBSF to the max. Look at this pic and imagine the ball being at his front elbow. Big loop and you miss.

View attachment 19179
James that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.. not why I posted the vid. It was more about what D Bichette Sr had to say and his positive influence on the Jays so far this year. For the record, I have no idea if the Jays are listening to what he has to say about barrel moving rearward. But being a Jays fan I can tell you something is different this year with their hitting. More discipline, letting the ball travel more, more hits with power UTM and oppo field. I've also seen Bichette make this motion on occasion in the dug out..

gif (6).gif

Plus like I mentioned the 2 strike no stride approach, I'm sure he has a lot to do with that considering that's what Bo does. Some hitters have adapted the no stride in any count.

I just wanted to share because as you know I am a "down to" person, but I am seeing a coach with a different mentality and approach help my team at the plate this year. Again not giving credit to TTB and I am not discounting it at this point either. I hoping some of the hitters will share as the season goes on.

Cheers

Nov 16, 2017
Something interesting:

I teach TTB to plane for players 10, 11 and under. Down to will not work until you have sufficient core strength. I have found that once the core strength stats entering is that the down to approach is the best way to create the most optimal bat path.
James that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.. not why I posted the vid. It was more about what D Bichette Sr had to say and his positive influence on the Jays so far this year. For the record, I have no idea if the Jays are listening to what he has to say about barrel moving rearward. But being a Jays fan I can tell you something is different this year with their hitting. More discipline, letting the ball travel more, more hits with power UTM and oppo field. I've also seen Bichette make this motion on occasion in the dug out..

View attachment 19180

Plus like I mentioned the 2 strike no stride approach, I'm sure he has a lot to do with that considering that's what Bo does. Some hitters have adapted the no stride in any count.

I just wanted to share because as you know I am a "down to" person, but I am seeing a coach with a different mentality and approach help my team at the plate this year. Again not giving credit to TTB and I am not discounting it at this point either. I hoping some of the hitters will share as the season goes on.

Cheers

Love the no stride approach, I think it is optimal for softball.

Here is the thing TTB works!!!. It is like picking between a good hamburger, a good pork chop, and a good steak. All 3 are good. But if I have to pick, I am going with the steak. If someone likes pork chops better good for them. I love pork chops, but I like a great medium rare Ribeye more.

The problem with talking about this is that most people can't admit that each method can yield good results. That is where the dumbassery exist. It is not about what works, it is about what works the best, if done in the right way.

IMO TTB works but it inhibits adjustability.

May 12, 2016
Something interesting:

I teach TTB to plane for players 10, 11 and under. Down to will not work until you have sufficient core strength. I have found that once the core strength stats entering is that the down to approach is the best way to create the most optimal bat path.

Love the no stride approach, I think it is optimal for softball.

Here is the thing TTB works!!!. It is like picking between a good hamburger, a good pork chop, and a good steak. All 3 are good. But if I have to pick, I am going with the steak. If someone likes pork chops better good for them. I love pork chops, but I like a great medium rare Ribeye more.

The problem with talking about this is that most people can't admit that each method can yield good results. That is where the dumbassery exist. It is not about what works, it is about what works the best, if done in the right way.

IMO TTB works but it inhibits adjustability.
I agree 100%

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The funny thing with this debate to simplify it you have 3 camps IMO:

Down to: Bonds, ARod, Pujols, Trout. Softball: Romero, Chamberlain

TTB to plane: Tewks: Donaldson, BlueJays, DiCarla

TM: TTB for instant bat speed. Judge

All 3 will work.

I love me some Donaldson, one of my favorite players, however, looking at the list above.......

It is what is is.

Disagree. TTB is planing. Down to is lag. They all plane and lag the barrel. They don’t do one or the other.

There’s where you want to swing and when you want to swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In my opinion the most important aspect of TTB is creating barrel path. At least the way I look at it. I can't (won't...) speak for others.

If this was directed at me. I’m not speaking for anyone. Think I said that. Makes perfect sense and isn’t far fetched. Josh D cares about educating young hitters. He’s SAID as much. He doesn’t want folks to think he TTB for power like AJ SAID he does. Didn’t mention TTB for power or not before AJs comments. But surely did after.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If this was directed at me. I’m not speaking for anyone. Think I said that. Makes perfect sense and isn’t far fetched. Josh D cares about educating young hitters. He’s SAID as much. He doesn’t want folks to think he TTB for power like AJ SAID he does. Didn’t mention TTB for power or not before AJs comments. But surely did after.

Wasnt directed at anyone in particular.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee