Dad looking for decent catchers mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Just fake being sick and have your wife sit in for one of your DD's pitching lessons......guaranteed done deal! You're welcome! ;)

So, funny enough, I asked DW to catch for DD and I one day. I’ll often ask DD to watch me and pick out what is wrong. It’s part pay back and part “learning as you teach”. I like to have her and our other pitcher to talk with each other in games when one is struggling as well.

Any rate....DW had to stop because her hand hurt too much. I’m now allowed to invest in a nicer mitt.

Apr 1, 2017
A little higher than your budget, but I bought this one last fall. Good size to fit a larger hand. Only thing I don't like, is there doesn't seem to be a ton of padding at the index finger if you leave the finger inside the glove. I just keep that finger outside the glove.

Jun 19, 2016
My 12 year old throws 58 and I think the best answer is a catcher. I have an under armour mitt and it honestly stings like hell if I don't catch it in the pocket. My biggest problem is I could not get my hand in most fastpitch mitts. I don't even have big hands but I have thick hands.

The only ones that fit me where under armour and Rawlings liberty. I probably would go with the Rawlings.

I realize that this is rather embarrassing that I need a 12 year girl to catch my kid because it stings too much...but I guess I will have to live with that fact.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I bought this glove on EBay two years ago for $60, basically because I'm cheap and it looked good. I love this glove, it's big so there's room to catch a ball without having any 'skin in the game'. It has high quality leather and lacing. I added my own padding in the index finger slot and keep my finger out of the glove. The only negative is that it is stiff and takes some work to break in. I always keep a ball in the pocket, having a round pocket is the secret to getting 'pop' and this baby sounds off.

Jun 7, 2020
Lol. I've heard good things about the rawlings liberty advanced. I was really liking it til I read it had rose gold as a trim. I didnt see any other color options. But the main thing is the price. It's just out of my price range.

My wife wont catch my dd. Shes scared of the ball hitting her shin. I took a shot off my shin tonight. Now I have a black and blue bruise on my left shin. Dd lost her grip on a fastball. The fastball was supposed to be knee high outside. It was close to knee high but it was way inside. Caught me on my left shin pretty good. I just couldn't get my mitt there fast enough. O well. Maybe I need to invest in shin guards next.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DW doesn’t like to catch for that very reason. But will reluctantly do it if I or DD ask. I grew up screening goalies in hockey so I don’t mind catching. Facing high speed objects that move or deflect is normal. DW doesn’t feel the same. LOL. I’ll have her wear my hockey shin guards next time.

Oct 4, 2018
Lol. I've heard good things about the rawlings liberty advanced. I was really liking it til I read it had rose gold as a trim. I didnt see any other color options. But the main thing is the price. It's just out of my price range.

My wife wont catch my dd. Shes scared of the ball hitting her shin. I took a shot off my shin tonight. Now I have a black and blue bruise on my left shin. Dd lost her grip on a fastball. The fastball was supposed to be knee high outside. It was close to knee high but it was way inside. Caught me on my left shin pretty good. I just couldn't get my mitt there fast enough. O well. Maybe I need to invest in shin guards next.

There are many color combinations for the Rawlings Liberty Advanced..

I've heard the internal padding isn't high quality though. Others can confirm/deny.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28