D3 Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2016
Tell me what D3 pitching is like. I know it probably varies from program to program but on AVG how good do you have to be to pitch at your AVG D3 school?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Tell me what D3 pitching is like. I know it probably varies from program to program but on AVG how good do you have to be to pitch at your AVG D3 school?

Varies is really not strong enough of a word.

The best D3 programs have kids that are absolutely D1 quality - lower-mid 60's, locates well, nice movement, change of speed. Everything you would want in a good pitcher. Player often choose academics, best fit, playing time, chance to win national title, chance to hit and pitch over other offers to 'bigger' softball schools. For example. MIT has had some total beasts lately. In fact any team that makes the NCAA D3 field has at least a marginal D1 quality pitcher on their staff.

The worst D3 programs have girls who look like they learned a few weeks ago. I have seen as low as 42 mph and can't throw a strike.

Mid-level... Somewhere in the 50-55mph range fast ball, a decent change up and not walking too many batters should get you a good share of pitching time on most teams. Probably wont win your conference or get a D3 championship invite but will do well enough depending on conference and location of the team.

Depth is the killer for a lot of D3 teams. Getting 2-3 strong pitchers on a team at the same time is not easy except for the powerhouse programs.

(Btw, close to the same can be said about D2... D1 it is a little better in variation but I have seem some terrible D1 pitchers especailly in the SWAC).

Jun 11, 2012
DD plays D3 and we’ve seen everything from a 45 mph lob to a pretty good low 60s.
What I have noticed is the schools with the very good pitcher usually only has one of them while the teams with the decent but not great pitching has multiple near the same level.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Varies is really not strong enough of a word.

The best D3 programs have kids that are absolutely D1 quality - lower-mid 60's, locates well, nice movement, change of speed. Everything you would want in a good pitcher. Player often choose academics, best fit, playing time, chance to win national title, chance to hit and pitch over other offers to 'bigger' softball schools. For example. MIT has had some total beasts lately. In fact any team that makes the NCAA D3 field has at least a marginal D1 quality pitcher on their staff.

The worst D3 programs have girls who look like they learned a few weeks ago. I have seen as low as 42 mph and can't throw a strike.

Totally agree. There is a *HUGE* variation in D3 programs.

May 27, 2013
Yes - totally agree with marriard’s post. The D3 I was recruited by many moons ago was a powerhouse. Went to the WS several times and actually won it. Their pitchers definitely threw hard. Easily low to mid 60s.

May 27, 2013
The frustrating thing is if I didn’t decide to not play due to being a nursing major I’d have a WS ring right now.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's school is one that made the tourney last year. Everything @marriard stated is accurate. Some of the teams they played during the regular season could not have beaten our 18u travel team. But once you get to conference playoffs and the national tournament, the quality of play rises quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2