D1 Walk-ons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
As I posted in an earlier thread, DD is a solid softball player but probably not scholarship material. She is going to choose a college based on academics first.

Lately she has expressed an interest in pursuing a sports management program. I know through some contacts that I have that students coming out of schools with big-time sports programs have the best shot at getting jobs in the sports management field.

So here’s my question: if DD is a decent player, not looking for any scholarship money, what are her chances of walking on to a team at a big school so that she can take advantage of the opportunities that their sports management program would provide? Do D1 softball teams carry ‘practice squad’ type of players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2015
What's her year?

There are several problems now thanks to COVID. First, if the coach hasn't already seen you at least once at one of their camps nor at a showcase tournament, it's really hard to get their attention via unsolicited email and/or phone calls.

Second, most DI rosters are over-stuffed thanks to NCAA letting 2020 seniors play another year and which may happen w/ 2021 seniors; even the Ivy's reversed their decision not to let 2020 seniors play another year and now they cancelled their 2021 season.

That said, the higher DD's academics the better DD's chances. My DD got a couple offers thanks to her early admissions acceptances that came w/ 50% off tuition merit scholarships along w/ getting some Twitter attention in the fall from several videos she posted from showcase tournaments.

Of course, YMMV. ;-)

Jul 14, 2018
What's her year?

She’s a 2025, so plenty of time. The question for her now is: do we do some camps at the big schools just to show her face, let the coaches see her hustle and attitude, and just be honest about her interest in the academic program first, being a part of the team a close second?

Jan 31, 2015
If DD is serious about playing DI, then you can't start early enough. FWIW, the DI offer my daughter accepted was from the coach that came out to see her first in at a showcase in fall of her freshman year after she had gone to their Labor Day prospect camp. As soon as the stupid NCAA blackout period is lifted, go to as many *prospect* camps at the colleges as you can afford and have time to attend.

Sprinkle in some coaches clinics along the way too although they are more of a cattle-call money grab for the coaches but at least you keep in front of them.

Best wishes!

Jul 31, 2015
As I posted in an earlier thread, DD is a solid softball player but probably not scholarship material. She is going to choose a college based on academics first.

Lately she has expressed an interest in pursuing a sports management program. I know through some contacts that I have that students coming out of schools with big-time sports programs have the best shot at getting jobs in the sports management field.

So here’s my question: if DD is a decent player, not looking for any scholarship money, what are her chances of walking on to a team at a big school so that she can take advantage of the opportunities that their sports management program would provide? Do D1 softball teams carry ‘practice squad’ type of players?

Your daughter should go for it! She is young and has lots of time to demonstrate interest and build those critical relationships. I would suggest she start by listing the programs she's interested in and going to their camps. If you can, attend their games, as many as possible, maybe they'll even get used to seeing her in the stands! If you know anyone on the team or in the athletic dept, definitely leverage that as well.

Nearly all teams have practice players, esp the P5 programs, but they are often ex-recruits who, for whatever reason, are not seen as being able to contribute in live games, but who the coach wants to keep around (and who are OK with ending their playing career). Many have small scholarships they are trying to hold on to. Walk-ons in softball are rare, maybe one a year, esp at the big programs.

Lots of people want to be associated with top programs, and will gladly donate their time to do so. Being a practice player or trying to walk on is a good idea, but there may be other roles she can take, and this can vary by program. Go hang around and see what you can find out!

Good luck! I have a feeling she is going to make this work.

Mar 26, 2016
I once read an article of a girl that played just local to her state, and was encouraged to try out for the college (P5 Big Ten school) she went to even though she thought her playing days were over they accepted her and she ended up being there bullpen catcher.

The issue now is with the roster sizes, and just not having the space. Read how SC had to add lockers, D1 schools only a certain amount of kids are allowed to travel as well.

Jul 12, 2017
MI
Here are a couple of stories about a player from our area and my daughter's organization that walked on at Michigan. She was an all state pitcher, but they brought her on as a bullpen catcher. Pretty cool experience.

Nov 18, 2013
I’m late to the party, but thought I’d throw in my two cents.

Some colleges, even to have open try outs for the very reason you stated. If a softball player attends the college anyway they’ll find out if they have use for them. Covid may change this, but by 2025 I’d expect it to be common practice again.

DD’s school was desperate for pitching her freshman year. Due to graduation, transfer and injury the entire pitching staff was DD and another freshman. Playing time as a freshman is great. Playing time with nobody older to save you when things aren’t going well sucks! Anyway, they took on three walk-on pitchers and a speedster base runner. The runner got to play in most games and two of the three pitchers got some playing time over the year.

Her school didn’t have practice players, but they did have 3-4 club baseball players on staff that caught bullpen or whatever else they needed. Some of the players were kind of defacto practice players that would seldom if ever see the field that year.

If your DD has great grades there are coaches that would take her just to up the team GPA. Bonus if she’s also a good player. It’s very worthwhile for her to pursue this at whatever school she eventually chooses. As others stated attend their camps asap. Best of luck to your daughter!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It really depends on the school. If it's a P5 school and your DD skill set is not up to par, she has no chance. Her skill set really needs to be in line with the other players otherwise she will just be in the way. Coaches have "preferred" walk ons. These players aren't getting any athletic monies, but the coach has a spot for them because they are good enough. Once the scholarship $$$ gets freed up the following year, that player might have a chance to earn some $$$. I know a kid that was an everyday player that was a preferred walk on at mid major D1. The coach was a complete rear who got herself fired. That coach refused to give her any athletic money for 3 years. Once the new coach came in she was awarded a full scholarship her senior year.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

Not poking fun, but you're DD is an 8th grader and she has time to figure things out, enjoy the ride. My experience with walk ons is through a player from our city who tried to walk on at LSU this year. She played D1 in the Mid Am Conf but always wanted to go to LSU.. Transferred and tried to walk on. She didn't make it but is at her dream school, so it all worked out.

Development as a player is what is important on the sports side of this subject. Put in the work and see where it takes you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee