D1 Retired Softball Player Looking To Help! www.d1insidethelines.com

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
As a retired Division 1 softball player, I wanted to continue to spread the game of fastpitch. I am in the works of creating a blog for players, parents, and coaches for all topics (Recruiting, Drills, My Journey, Coach's Corner, etc.) I wanted to start this thread to ask if that is something anyone would love to follow and to also get ideas of what you all would love to see answered on it! What would you want to ask a Retired College Softball Player?

Were you actually able to be a student-athlete? Some colleges (and students) put more emphasis on the athlete part, which I don't get.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I actually was super fortunate to play under Margo Jonker at Central Michigan University. She is a legend in the softball community as she paved the way for female athletes AND shes currently a nominee for Michigan Sports Hall of Fame (Go Vote!). She was absolutely a leader, she was a mentor for not just softball but life. Her coaching style was not of the yelling nature, it was more like a disappointed mother lol! She didn't have to say anything, you could feel her presence and no joke that was almost worse than getting yelled at! If you have ever disappointed your mother or someone of that same level of respect, it sucks and it makes you want to be better. I loved that about her, she cared so deeply for you and had such a high level of respect for the game. She ingrained in us to play the game the right way and to never take it for granted! This gives me a great idea for a blog post on the lessons learned from all of the different coaching styles I played under (and yes I've played for the screaming type as well). Thanks for the questions!
I like that kind of coach. They have an aura about them that says "You know that I know that you know, fix it!"

Apr 22, 2020
Were you actually able to be a student-athlete? Some colleges (and students) put more emphasis on the athlete part, which I don't get.

Thanks.
Good question, academics was priority #1 and our coaches did a great job of making that clear. I absolutely agree that not all schools are that way and I can't say I agree with that either. We had enforced study table hours, GPA expectations, and times set aside as we traveled that were specifically for academics. At the end of the day even if you are the best athlete on the team, it doesn't do anyone any good if you're not eligible! Was it easy to balance both of those, nope! But it's part of the expectation at that level for sure.

Feb 25, 2018
Good question, academics was priority #1 and our coaches did a great job of making that clear. I absolutely agree that not all schools are that way and I can't say I agree with that either. We had enforced study table hours, GPA expectations, and times set aside as we traveled that were specifically for academics. At the end of the day even if you are the best athlete on the team, it doesn't do anyone any good if you're not eligible! Was it easy to balance both of those, nope! But it's part of the expectation at that level for sure.

Thanks for the information!

I think a web site of your experience, thoughts, ideas, etc. would be a good resource.

Apr 22, 2020
Do you know what the Hanson Principle is. I find that the best athletes are generally the worst coaches, do you agree, disagree and why?
I have not heard of that principle but to answer your second question I think anyone can make a really great coach or a really bad coach whether you were an athlete or not. I see your point, I know athletes that are extremely talented, but when asked about how they succeed and how they can teach others to do what they do, they can't seem to communicate that. Some players have talent that takes them farther than analysis and hard work will that's just the way it's dealt sometimes (I was definitely not that type of player lol). Just because you have the athletic talent doesn't mean you have the ability to coach. No one ever says a coach is super "talented", they describe great coaches as: impactful, influential, knowledgeable, and it's important that coaches have the ability to get through to players. But to that point, I can't categorize good coaches or bad coaches as people who are great athletes or nonathletes, it really comes down to their ability to help players reach their goals, be open enough to always learn new things, and to impact players on and off the field. Thanks for the questions I appreciate it!

Reactions: NEF
Dec 1, 2019
I would love to read your blog and pick up tips, so I don’t make mistakes with my daughters softball adventure .

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I would love to read your blog and pick up tips, so I don’t make mistakes with my daughters softball adventure .

I would love to read your blog and pick up tips, so I learn how to deal with the mistakes both she and I will inevitably make with my daughters softball adventure .

fixed that for you

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@Noch1k,
Congratulations on your achievement! :)

From your Perspective as an Athlete whom played in College at the D1 level,
Looking back on travel ball...

Was there 1 or 2 things in your experience from travel ball that stood out that really helped you reach your college goal?

What position 's do you play?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020
@Noch1k,
Congratulations on your achievement! :)

From your Perspective as an Athlete whom played in College at the D1 level,
Looking back on travel ball...

Was there 1 or 2 things in your experience from travel ball that stood out that really helped you reach your college goal?

What position 's do you play?
Great questions! I would say playing the best competition in the country really helped me get ready for college. Being exposed to that level of talent definitely made me a better player as there was always a challenge. But more importantly, also developing mental toughness and the philosophy of playing as a "team" and not an individual trying to get to college, is what really helped my goal of playing D1. Some travel teams are made up of individuals trying to get to college ball, and it shows when they play. But finding a travel ball organization that embodies "The Team" mindset it HUGE. When players get to college, no one is the star and everyone has a role. Some players who aren't exposed to that in travel ball, can't make that adjustment in college. I'd love to get into this more in a blog post so thank you for the idea! I played third base, catcher, and shortstop in my college career, pretty spread out at all of them but third base was my best strength!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812