Cutting kids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2008
What is a good way to cut a kid (12u) if another player comes to tryouts & is better. I know in travel ball people should expect that nothing is guaranteed, but how will this affect the kid, or is that how it goes in travel ball. We have 2 or 3 girls that are expendable if a better player comes along.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I take it you're talking about someone who has been on your team before. It's not easy. I know I try to avoid it if I can.

Part of it depends on whether the kid in question has worked hard, been there all the time, etc. or has been more of a "visitor." You can always talk about commitment and such for the occasional player. Sounds like that's what you're talking about by the use of the word "expendable." They should have no expectation of continuation if they haven't put in the effort.

If she has put in the effort, tried her best but just wasn't very good, you might want to consider keeping her and working with her. If you can't, be honest, tell her what she needs to work on, and encourage her to try again next year. It will hurt, but so will not playing.

May 8, 2008
These are girls that come to practice regularly, but they don't have much in the way of skills, they are slow, hit sporadically & aren't much help defensively. The reason they made the team last year is because there are so many travel teams in our area that we didn't have much to choose from, they were the best of a couple of average players, & the parents of one of them thinks she is the second coming because she had a nice hit in one tournament, it was in April & he was still talking about it in July!!! I believe if a girl can play, the coaches will notice her without the parents telling the coaches how good the kid is.

May 12, 2008
I think the commitment should be, AT A MINIMUM, through the next Nationals. Put the team together in August or September from tryouts etc, then do it again the next year. No way you cut a kid till the next year just because you made a bad assessment or because she was just the best you could find and now she's not. Teams generally get put together in Aug or Sept. Cut her then and she can find another spot.

Behavioral issues are a different matter.

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
I believe if a girl can play, the coaches will notice her without the parents telling the coaches how good the kid is.

AMEN!!! i think i'm going to have this put on a t-shirt and wear to all my tryouts:D i had a dad bring his daughter to one of my practices for a tryout. he kept telling me she can play any position and she has a cannon for an arm. i wanted to tell him that her cannon is apparently misfiring today...

i'm with mark on this one. keep your players until your season ends and you normally would be losing girls because of "moving up" etc and replacing them... i'm in the same situation due to it being our first year and putting the team together so late. i know which girls i'm interested in bringing back and which ones i'm not. i have not replaced any players but i have added some players and taken away some playing time of the ones who missed practices and tournaments. they don't like it but hey, STOP MISSING PRACTICE!!!

May 8, 2008
Our season is over. I'm talking about not bringing back a girl for next season if there are better players at tryouts. I'm not talking about dumping someone during the season.

May 8, 2008
I had a father asking me if his daughter will be guaranteed playing time at 1st base since this is where she likes to play. We haven't even seen her yet & he wants us to make a committment to letting her play "her" position.

May 12, 2008
I had a father asking me if his daughter will be guaranteed playing time at 1st base since this is where she likes to play. We haven't even seen her yet & he wants us to make a committment to letting her play "her" position.

I'd guarantee her an opportunity to compete for whatever she wants. End of story.

KAT

May 13, 2008
I dont like when a coach guarantees playing time. Because if he is guaranteing it to me how many others is he doing the same with. I also dont want my DD to think she can just show up and play. She is not that type but just in case that little thought enters her brain you know. I want the positions up for grabs each practice....the best grabber gets it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K