Cursing and 14u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2020
" side note if we had know assistant coach was coaching we would not of signed for this team "
Why didnt you know?
Parents ask questions. If the coach doesn't like your questions then find another team.

No clue a question we asked was told last coach left unexpectedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2020
How to motivate kids without yelling at them?

Sit them on the bench. Trust me... removing the starting SS or C from the game sends a very clear message to the entire team.

But, the coaches are too afraid of losing a game.

Yea well how do you motivate kids when you tell the whole team the veterans earned their spots all ready and will play the whole time ... that is a whole separate issue considering it’s a completely newly formed

May 23, 2015
How to motivate kids without yelling at them?

Sit them on the bench. Trust me... removing the starting SS or C from the game sends a very clear message to the entire team.

But, the coaches are too afraid of losing a game.
I'll go straight bobby cox/Andruw Jones on their butts

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Double edged sword.....I know I took my share of cussing's playing at 14. Anna has played in plenty of D1 & D2 camps before, the good ones where college coaches would bring in several travel teams to their facility, run a camp, and then play it out. In some of those (a lot) you better have some **** thick skin cause it could get brutal! Especially when they're asked to do odd, out of the normal things in certain game situations, those coaches want to see who listens.....right or wrong.....who's paying attention?

I don't personally cuss at players, I just won't! In my DD's case, who is a very competitive girl, she doesn't need anyone to cuss her for making a mistake, she knows exactly what she did wrong!

Jul 1, 2019
Personally, I cuss, probably more than I should but whatever. My kids hear it (didn't when they were under 10ish, but do now), they hear it from their friends, sometimes their teachers, I'm sure they've heard it from a coach before too. If the entire team is being addressed and told to get off their a$$es, and it's not a regular occurrence, so what. If it's continued cussing directed at one individual then I definitely see it as a problem.

I currently coach on a 12u baseball team, though I don't regularly cuss when I'm in that role, it's slipped on occasion (though never the F word). When it slipped it wasn't because I was yelling at them for a mistake, it was more of a "when you get that bunt down I really need you to bust a$# down to first base. I really can't see getting worked up over one incident to the point of going to the head coach about this.

In that regard, what if it had been the head coach, what would you have done then? Would you have been this worried about it? Gone to the org director (or whoever is HC's upline)? It seems as though you've already got a problem with AC and this just added to it. Hate to say it, but the world is a place where you've got to have somewhat thick skin, especially in a competitive environment. Sally can't break down, nor can her parents, because she hears a bad word. She's 13ish, I promise you she's heard worse.

Note: DD is 13 and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that she's heard her coach cuss, but she's never brought it up to me and probably wouldn't if she did.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
I am with @HighStrung. If it was not address directly at someone but at the team, one time, not worth getting worked up over. IIRC I've slipped twice over the last year and a half. Once was after taking a ball off the foot in front toss. The other after a girl hit a bomb and I said "Wow, the was a F%$^% Bomb!" It was 3/4 out of my mouth and I thought "oooops".

My nephew played basketball. 7th grade, first game, coach calls timeout and opens with, "Which one of you F$%^% P#%$%$ are going to grab a rebound." He is still coaching middle school basketball and Volleyball. I could not imagine going to the schools athletic director and complaining about his language.

Sep 22, 2020
Personally, I cuss, probably more than I should but whatever. My kids hear it (didn't when they were under 10ish, but do now), they hear it from their friends, sometimes their teachers, I'm sure they've heard it from a coach before too. If the entire team is being addressed and told to get off their a$$es, and it's not a regular occurrence, so what. If it's continued cussing directed at one individual then I definitely see it as a problem.

I currently coach on a 12u baseball team, though I don't regularly cuss when I'm in that role, it's slipped on occasion (though never the F word). When it slipped it wasn't because I was yelling at them for a mistake, it was more of a "when you get that bunt down I really need you to bust a$# down to first base. I really can't see getting worked up over one incident to the point of going to the head coach about this.

In that regard, what if it had been the head coach, what would you have done then? Would you have been this worried about it? Gone to the org director (or whoever is HC's upline)? It seems as though you've already got a problem with AC and this just added to it. Hate to say it, but the world is a place where you've got to have somewhat thick skin, especially in a competitive environment. Sally can't break down, nor can her parents, because she hears a bad word. She's 13ish, I promise you she's heard worse.

Note: DD is 13 and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that she's heard her coach cuss, but she's never brought it up to me and probably wouldn't if he did.

Again I work in a profession where this is not tolerated so I guess I’m out voted, people get fired from jobs for far less than this...no my child does not hear curse words from a teachers...I am no saint but try to refrain from the f word around my children and certainly do not curse directly at them...she goes to a school that respects their students and use other words to motivate or get their points across... if it was the head coach I wouldn’t have bothered other than remove her. I don’t believe people of authority should have that small of a vocabulary to reduce them selves to cursing at players or whole team at a scrimmage that had no ump... I played college sports and I can honestly say I have never had a coach curse at me.

As for thick skin yes this world is cruel but that doesn’t mean I have to teach my child that it’s ok to be belittled by someone of authority.. trust me she has thick skin but I won’t have her hate another sport bc of coach who belittles if a coach is gonna act this way during a non umpires scrimmage at 14u vs a 16u team they were playing what would happen at a championship game on a Sunday?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802