Cursing and 14u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Our BatBuster coach once told our team they are going to be really strict in this next tournament about cursing. There will be no warnings.
Coached and players will be a ejected from the game if we cuss.
So our team came up with code words like peanut butter and jelly.
Just as any 13-14 year olds would do
there were a lot of creative words used that weekend...
Well it made it fun ;)

If a coach cussed around me they open the door to a creative reply!

Standards apply to everyone!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
14u is an extremely difficult time. We really didn't have any coach/player issues that I can remember. But we did have some player/player drama that created some uncomfortable situations. Our 14u team had some new barely 13 year old players like my daughter (December birthday). But we also had a couple 15 year old players (January/February birthdays). These girls were nearly 2 full years older than some of their teammates. We learned that some of the 15's were sharing intimate details of sexual activity they were having with their boyfriends, and the 13's were very uncomfortable about it. Yeah, I cannot say I miss those days...

To the OP... If you know this is "normal" for this particular coach and didn't know he was going to be the coach, I would support a move to a different team. Typically I am a commitment guy. But there are exceptions. In this case you didn't realize this person was going to be the coach, so I could definitely understand your desire to leave, if that becomes the case.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well head coach did tell him this assistant coach trying to contact us so guess who will be singled out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's a personal apology. Or, he could be telling you to suck it up if you want your DD to play on his ultra-elite super-premier team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sit them on the bench. Trust me... removing the starting SS or C from the game sends a very clear message to the entire team.

But, the coaches are too afraid of losing a game.
Wait :oops: are you saying catchers may be instigators?
Who's on the bench🤔 LOL

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wait :oops: are you saying catchers may be instigators?
Who's on the bench🤔 LOL
Hmmm...perhaps I was poking RADbear?

Catchers are never a problem...anyone who puts on all that gear on a hot summer day loves the game. They always gives 100%. (You know, you go out to talk to the kids, and the SS and CF have cute bows in their hair and their uniforms are still creased, and up walks C, in a filthy uniform with sweat pouring off her brow making streaks in the dirt on her cheeks.)

But, the other players sometimes get lackadaisical. The best way to up their level of play is to take them out of the game and let them watch.

Most coaches don't understand the game. (E.g., they don't really know why the SS is not getting to the ball.) So, they resort to taunts and threats.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
How to motivate kids without yelling at them?

Sit them on the bench. Trust me... removing the starting SS or C from the game sends a very clear message to the entire team.

But, the coaches are too afraid of losing a game.
This is spot on. The bench speaks louder than any coach ever could.

Jun 26, 2019
I swear more than I should, that happens around my own kids more than it should so I am far from perfect in this regard, that being said, it’s not ok as a coach. I think quitting the team would be an over reaction, if he apologizes accept it and move on and it doesn’t become a regular occurrence. As long as it stops and does not hold a grudge against your daughter and you I call an apology a win.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
If you're blaming your team for you not having them prepared coach, find another hobby. :mad:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
" side note if we had know assistant coach was coaching we would not of signed for this team "
Why didnt you know?
Parents ask questions. If the coach doesn't like your questions then find another team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802