Currently...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
So DD has figured somethings out and we are seeing big improvements with her swing and great contact. She played in 6 games over the weekend and only 3 AB's resulted in a weak ground ball or popup. Her contact rate is through the roof and she's hitting the ball hard.... mostly line shots and hard grounders. Even balls hit right at infielders are them issues because they are hit hard. Somethings we have done to improve;

1. Focusing on hands, used the pvc tool(looks like a billy club) to instill tighter hand pivot
  2. Getting on plane early
  3. Hitting the ball with a top down approach, this does not mean chopping down on the ball, but hands above the ball with the barrel getting on plane early and staying on plane
  4. Staying inside the ball, this has resulted in inside pitches that were once rolled over and pulled foul being lined over SS into the gap
However there is still a lot of room for improvement. We want to see the hard grounders transformed into gappers. I set up behind her in a couple of plate appearances and it seems she is at times hitting the top part of the ball.. doesn't seem to be a result of barrel path (chopping down on ball), but just where contact is happening. Any suggestions to help correct this?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Video is always the preferred way to diagnose issues. Congrats to your DD on the improvements.

With my DD, when I start seeing a lot of ground balls, and a lack of squared line drives and deep fly balls, it's invariably a lack of pulling with her back, and her torso pushing forward over the rear hip.

May 12, 2016
Video is always the preferred way to diagnose issues. Congrats to your DD on the improvements.

With my DD, when I start seeing a lot of ground balls, and a lack of squared line drives and deep fly balls, it's invariably a lack of pulling with her back, and her torso pushing forward over the rear hip.
This makes sense to me and I have seen this in her swing as well.. thanks Eric

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Eric, never herd of torso pushing forward over the rear hip.. Do you have an example of this ?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, never herd of torso pushing forward over the rear hip.. Do you have an example of this ?

At contact, draw a line from knee to hip to shoulder. When things are working right for my DD, that line is straight, or even a slight rearward tilt above the hip (torso pulling back). When the line tilts forward above the hip (torso pushing forward), the result has been a much higher rate of ground balls and lower-quality contact for my DD. We have seen this correlation with my DD a few times.

There aren't lines drawn on the video, but you can hopefully see the differences I'm talking about...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks Eric !! Looks to me like she is pushing/driving the swing with the rear leg/hip.

3jtyn1b.gif

WofdEZd.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nice!! Nothing to add (without video) other than that sometimes the pitcher wins the battle.. ;)

This is true. However, this why you need to look at trends and the things that might be happening different when the trends change.

Jun 8, 2016
This is true. However, this why you need to look at trends and the things that might be happening different when the trends change.
Of course, hence my video comment.. ;) To analyze trends in Marcela I need to view things in a 100 dimensional space.. :LOL: (sorry math geek joke)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee