Cues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't see anything wrong with them as descriptions of the internal feel of parts of the motion. I don't know how useful they are when it comes to instruction.

Here is some food for thought from a blog I have been reading.

While taking in any verbal cue the body has to

1. Define it. (What does driving more off my leg mean? What does getting ‘on top’ mean?)
  2. Distinguish how that is different than what the body is already doing. (How do I know when I’ve made the change?)
  3. Bridge the gap from its current movement often without any internal ability to distinguish what the athlete is currently doing from what the body wants to do. (Is what I feel actually the difference that the coach wanted me to make?)
Not only do we ask athletes to make these adjustments, but the cues used in baseball are often what we consider internal cues. This means that coaches are cueing athletes to have an internal focus on specific body parts and where they need to be."

What level pitcher is she using them with, college, 14U etc?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
This isn't meant specifically at this post but just in general: I am not the smartest guy in the world, Probably not by any stretch would anyone else consider me to be that either.

But, my goodness, when I read some of the posts on here.... I have to give my head a shake. I literally cannot follow the descriptions being presented in most cases, and if you do follow this, if you get up from your chair and go through the motions to figure out the words of what is being meant, then I say God Bless You. Because I can't follow it.

I'm not totally stupid either, I get that I'm coming at this pitching thing from a different perspective than 99% of the people on this forum. But, my goodness it's being over complicated, over analyzed, and very hair splitting. Pretty soon we're going to be discussing how short the fingernails need to be on the GLOVE hand of the pitcher to ensure maximum spin and speed. So many questions could be answered without the complicated questions if more people would simply try doing this themselves. The same bucket of balls we all wish our kids would pitch daily against a wall or against a fence, could be used by mom/dad too as they learn the movements they're wanting their own kids to do. I know some parents do this, most don't. But I never understood why.

Next time you play catch, throw the ball back to her underhand trying to mimic her motion. You may surprise yourselves!!

Jan 28, 2017
I agree with you and do test things out and ask questions because I’m not the smartest guy either. I’m also an rear just like you.

When I get my knee outside the pinky toe, I seem to flow forward better with more spring as my knee moves inward.

when I pull down behind my hip, it seems that my hip and shoulder separation is better

Aug 21, 2008
I agree with you and do test things out and ask questions because I’m not the smartest guy either. I’m also an rear just like you.

When I get my knee outside the pinky toe, I seem to flow forward better with more spring as my knee moves inward.

when I pull down behind my hip, it seems that my hip and shoulder separation is better

Fair enough. But you're breaking down a question based off your "pinky toe" ... really? I truly an not trying to be an rear here, sincerely. But I don't follow. I don't understand what you mean about separation between the hip and shoulder. I truly hope there is someone here who can answer your question, I literally don't understand shoulder separation, pinky toes, if my knees goes out of my pinky toe, etc.

Again Tango, this wasn't a shot at you or anyone in particular. I log into this site every other day or so, and I get baffled by the questions. Maybe I just call these things something different, I have no idea. I know I don't use a lot of the jargon used on this forum in lessons so this could entirely be on me.

Bill

Oct 14, 2019
I don’t understand half of the technical discussions on this board, particularly about hitting. How in the world do you convey these instructions to 12 year old kids?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

I am trying to transition away from cues like these but it's not easy. The traditional way is to offer physical cues, and that's how I've always done it. Science says that physical cues, which it labels as 'internal', are generally not as effective as external cues. There are a number of boring studies that anyone can read that show this, I usually read them right before bedtime.
Here is a site that summarizes some of this thinking.

Jan 28, 2017
Fair enough. But you're breaking down a question based off your "pinky toe" ... really? I truly an not trying to be an rear here, sincerely. But I don't follow. I don't understand what you mean about separation between the hip and shoulder. I truly hope there is someone here who can answer your question, I literally don't understand shoulder separation, pinky toes, if my knees goes out of my pinky toe, etc.

Again Tango, this wasn't a shot at you or anyone in particular. I log into this site every other day or so, and I get baffled by the questions. Maybe I just call these things something different, I have no idea. I know I don't use a lot of the jargon used on this forum in lessons so this could entirely be on me.

Bill

i have not taught this but if your knee is outside your pinky toe on the drive foot leg. It allows your knee to workin and over your bid toe. In theory if activates your glutes and hamstrings and allows more push.

Coach Pauly talks a lot about separation of the hips and shoulders. Hips first and then shoulders

Jan 28, 2017
I am trying to transition away from cues like these but it's not easy. The traditional way is to offer physical cues, and that's how I've always done it. Science says that physical cues, which it labels as 'internal', are generally not as effective as external cues. There are a number of boring studies that anyone can read that show this, I usually read them right before bedtime.
Here is a site that summarizes some of this thinking.

Former Head Football Coach of 17 years and have tried about everything as far as teaching. The problem I have with external cues- how do you convey the information I’m asking about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802