Cues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Former Head Football Coach of 17 years and have tried about everything as far as teaching. The problem I have with external cues- how do you convey the information I’m asking about.
I don't know what kind of skills you need to teach in football that require cues. My background is in golf and when I want to 'shape' a shot I might mentally review and use, target, ball flight or clubhead path, all external cues. I wouldn't think about what my hands, shoulders or weight need to do.

I know that some internal cues are necessary to teach basic mechanics, thus I use 'pull down behind the hip' because 100% of my new students will naturally want to push the ball in the downswing. For players that have solid mechanics external cues should be more productive. the trick is to be able to come up with these cues and that's where I am struggling. For instance instead of 'pull your arm down behind your hip' an external cue might be 'keep the ball in line with 2B'.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Agree. Have used a lot of positive outcomes the night before big games. See yourself make the perfect drop and throw a dart to the backside post. Still need to teach things and I try to tag an internal cue with and external visual. I have a Biology and Health degree. Double major but English skills aren’t very good and from the south.

Jul 13, 2019
Nothing works for everybody. I think it would be too wordy for me if I was a player. I feel it would be paralysis by analysis. But, that's just me if you try and it works for somebody keep using it. When it stops working look for a different cue. I have found that sometimes what worked for a kid earlier in the year is not currently working. Then you have to see where the problem is and come up with a new cue. Plus, if you not using video i think that would help because then you could point out what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong and then work together to get a plan to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802