Crowding the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Throw on inside corner. If any part of her hands/arms/elbows are over the plate, make sure your catcher points out to the umpire there are body parts in the strike zone.

May 27, 2013
Love these batters when dd is pitching. She’ll go with a screw or an inside rise - lots of swings and misses.

Sep 29, 2014
Well guess this is what you call a consensus...it is really the only way to go, hard and inside basically somewhere between belt and letters on the inside river and if you miss....miss inside. I really would try and throw the strike though because it sends the best message...."I can hit the inside black for a strike and from where you are standing you can't hit it."...now back up a little so I can throw to that outside black knee high pitch that you can't hit either....

Jul 20, 2019
Thanks all for the feedback - appreciate it. Will reiterate to her she needs to own the plate and go right at the batter inside.

I wasn’t sure before, until getting the responses, as to what the rule actually is. Will make sure she gets the point that if batter is leaning into the zone, she and her catcher make sure ump is aware

May 29, 2015
If done right, giving the umpire a head’s up may not be a bad thing to do. Be aware though, the umpire cannot make the batter move off the plate.

It is not illegal for the batter to lean out over the plate ... up until the point that the pitch enters the same space. A ball that hits the batter in the strike zone is a dead ball strike.

M&R Davis may be right that many umps don’t like making that call ... but I have a touch of evil in me and I love making that call. Especially while the batter is running down to first base. It’s actually pretty rare though.

PS — just a bit of friendly advice ... I would highly recommend that you avoid saying the words “hit her” if you are coaching. Or parenting. Or playing. Just don’t say it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812