Crow Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
As I am sitting here watching outfield drills at the University of Tennessee camp , it is painfully obvious that not many girls can do a crow hop. Is this not being taught by coaches to younger players ? Has teaching outfield skills become non existent ?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am always afraid to say the word most, but what i have learned at the U of AZ. camps is that the crow hop has been abandoned for the "drive through." It is a different technique. Many D1s no longer crow hop.

Jan 24, 2011
I am always afraid to say the word most, but what i have learned at the U of AZ. camps is that the crow hop has been abandoned for the "drive through." It is a different technique. Many D1s no longer crow hop.

I can live with either technique , but it is obvious that most of these girls don't / can't do either. It just appears that outfield skills aren't being taught anymore.

Jun 11, 2012
What is the "drive through" technique. I am currently working with my dd with the crow hop. Is this a better way of getting the momentum for thrown balls?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I can live with either technique , but it is obvious that most of these girls don't / can't do either. It just appears that outfield skills aren't being taught anymore.

It is a struggle for my dd. Actually only a few on my team could go a month off and come back with a good crow hop or pro step. Dd tends to add a weird studder step. A couple girls hop too high and short.
We work on it a bit, they catch on, then a few weeks later it is all gone.

Outfield skills, footwork, running glove tucked and finding ball, over shoulder catches, and etc are the most difficult things for girls to catch in to. If someone would come up with something like "New England Outfielders camp" I would be all over it. I would love for my daughter to be a great outfielder, but by default, we can't seem to create a good back up catcher for us.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Redhotcoach,

My name is Austin Wasserman and I own an Athletic Development company in Nashua, NH. We work with a lot of Softball Girls ages 10-18 and also have an 18U ASA team. We see a common theme in outfielders who come to us not understanding or not knowing the proper footwork, very shaky on how to read the ball/over the shoulder catches, etc.

I am putting together a Softball Specific Outfield Camp in August. It will be located in Nashua, NH. Camp information will be posted within the next 2 weeks on our website. A.B. Athletic Development, LLC under Programs/Camps.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Austin

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
I would love to run an OF Specific Camp for 2013. I am open to any ideas or suggestions in terms of when and where. This past summer we had a lot of inquiries about running an OF Specific Camp in Nashua, NH but then only had a few people actually respond. This was towards the end of August.

Let me know your thoughts and we can perhaps set something up!

Jan 24, 2011
I would love to run an OF Specific Camp for 2013. I am open to any ideas or suggestions in terms of when and where. This past summer we had a lot of inquiries about running an OF Specific Camp in Nashua, NH but then only had a few people actually respond. This was towards the end of August.

Let me know your thoughts and we can perhaps set something up!

How about East Tennessee? :) We could use the help with developing Outfielders

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802