Crow hop vs step behind

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 5, 2012
I would advocate for any player to learn & master both. There are going to be situations where one or the other will be more appropriate. I don't get this, "Teach only one way", thing...….. There are a lot of different skill sets that a player has to work on if they want to excel.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I agree with Chris. I have my outfielders do both, but it is situational dependent.

Momentum in your throw from the outfield is paramount for many obvious reasons. A ball in the air, we use a slide-step(behind or in front) hop and a ball on the ground, we use the crow-hop.

My theory is that the crow-hop is a great way to bring the body vertical (fix posture, get feet underneath) right before the throw, which aids in building that momentum toward the base throwing to. This, I believe is optimal for balls in front.

Again, these are all situational. Ground ball carries my CF toward first base and she needs to gun it to third, we won't crow hop, we will step behind to turn our body and shuffle for momentum build and assist in accuracy.

As stated above, footwork is an essential fundamental.

Really gotta disagree with almost all this.

The biggest is the idea that the crow hop somehow helps posture. Fielding a ball outside the body is not going to put you in a better position than fielding a ball directly in front. You're also taking a lot less time gathering, and there really isn't any less power on the throw.

I could see a crow hop being a little more beneficial on a fly ball, though I'm not sure it's superior to the step behind there, either.

On the ground ball to the CF, is the CF angling toward the infield or away from it? How hard does the fielder have to run? Depending on a few factors, there I might want them to plant and spin (toward the OF) to get into the best and quickest throwing position.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am going to get the stop watch out on Saturday and have outfielder try both ways. I will time it like a pop time (glove to glove). I am pretty confident the step behind will be quicker. Maybe much quicker because players like to exaggerate their crop hop and spend too much time in the air.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Unless we think males and females should throw different….

Great plays!

Hard to see all foot work from the angle of the camera.
But definitely some of them their feet are lining up together.
ie~both feet are on the same line coming forward.

Not like in the video example post #4 where in his cross over step example he shifts his weight to the side in the middle of the mechanic.
Starts in one spot but coming forward ends up not in the same line of throw but to the side of it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Great plays!

Hard to see all foot work from the angle of the camera.
But definitely some of them their feet are lining up together.
ie~both feet are on the same line coming forward.

Not like in the video example post #4 where in his cross over step example he shifts his weight to the side in the middle of the mechanic.
Starts in one spot but coming forward ends up not in the same line of throw but to the side of it.

I've never really thought about it beofre, but I think you're more likely to get feet lined up on a catch in the air, especially if the fielder isn't moving too much.

The Red Sox play (second in the clip) is a good example of the step behind. The third clip (Acuna/Braves) was, too. It's not a heavily exaggerated move.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not just great throws ... but for the catchers out there, look at where the catcher is positioned on every one of these. (y)
Also like seeing the catcher out there ready for the throw!

If positioning of the catcher were in fastpitch.. Looks like a couple of those plays at the plate may be obstruction by where the catcher is standing.
Especially the one where the catcher is standing behind the Baseline and the runner dives in front? What do you think?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802