crow hop fix/help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
It's bad. Going on all season. They are on ESPN a ton. Their last game DW was watching. She is a casual fan of the game. She said to me "isn't that pitcher pitching illegally"?
Yep..

Cool. Thanks and I thought that was your point and a good one. Every year I see more and more of them at all levels but a surprising number of them in college including D1 and Power 5. There is a girl for SIU that pitched her 5th no-hitter this season. Crow hop city.

Florida has a freshman that mark my words will be the next talked about pitcher in D1 after this year. She is awesome but again, crow hop city. Washington's stud, crowhopper and the list goes on and on.

Again, confident I am seeing more of it and not less. Rarely gets called but will on occasion and that is the downside. Thus why I asked the OP if his DD is getting called.

Oct 4, 2018
Mike of course nailed this one. Explain why it needs fixed and demonstrate.
Then I throw some tape at 45ish degree down about their height out and TAKE THE BALL. Then I say, get your foot out to that mark on that mark as much as possible and btw your big toe is really a piece of chalk so as you’re getting to that mark, draw me a chalk line on this mat. Go home rinse and repeat all week. I’ve never had one come back with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you're talking about different feet here.

Oct 4, 2018
Yea

I was kind of hoping you'd say "no" so I could see what kind of funky pitching style you use. :p

I've also noticed that when our pitching coach tells our daughter to squeeze her butt cheeks (code word: Oranges!) her drag foot comes through much better and the pitch is often faster and more accurate.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I was kind of hoping you'd say "no" so I could see what kind of funky pitching style you use. :p

I've also noticed that when our pitching coach tells our daughter to squeeze her butt cheeks (code word: Oranges!) her drag foot comes through much better and the pitch is often faster and more accurate.

I use crack the nut. As soon as her front foot hits, crack the nut!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
How did you present this info to the girls to get them to understand it? What did you specifically tell them to fix the issue? Was it their drive or forcing an open position? Thanks

first off I compliment them... letting them know that most girls struggle pushing one time but they are successful pushing twice. I let them know that this is a strength of theirs but under the rules it's illegal... and unfortunately has become less efficient. I tell them there is a way to do what they do legally and actually gain speed.

I roll up their pant leg of their Drive leg... I take a marker and draw an eyeball on their kneecap. I then show them a video of them doing a full pitch with his new eyeball on their knee cap. I show them how the eyeball goes from facing home to looking outward away from the plate. I asked them if they are intentionally trying to misdirect their energy away from the target... to which they look at me like I'm crazy and say of course not. To which I respond, it's nore efficient to keep your body going in the direction that you're trying to speed the ball... not just the torso... but everybody part.

I then take the ball away from them and have them throw air at about 60% effort... one instruction: they are not allowed to turn that eyeball in any direction other than keep it facing the catcher the entire pitch. The mark on the knee also serves as visual reference for me to observe whether or not they are having success.

It's as easy then as saying yes or no. On every yes, add 10% energy and on every no... they take off 10%. By the time we get to full effort I then ask them to try to do so via a run-through with everything they have... keeping the eyeball facing home at all times.

That's it. It's really that simple. Introduce the ball once they can throw 110% without it. Rinse, repeat...

They become Aware, able to Respond with succes, and Motivated.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
first off I compliment them... letting them know that most girls struggle pushing one time but they are successful pushing twice. I let them know that this is a strength of theirs but under the rules it's illegal... and unfortunately has become less efficient. I tell them there is a way to do what they do legally and actually gain speed.

I roll up their pant leg of their Drive leg... I take a marker and draw an eyeball on their kneecap. I then show them a video of them doing a full pitch with his new eyeball on their knee cap. I show them how the eyeball goes from facing home to looking outward away from the plate. I asked them if they are intentionally trying to misdirect their energy away from the target... to which they look at me like I'm crazy and say of course not. To which I respond, it's nore efficient to keep your body going in the direction that you're trying to speed the ball... not just the torso... but everybody part.

I then take the ball away from them and have them throw air at about 60% effort... one instruction: they are not allowed to turn that eyeball in any direction other than keep it facing the catcher the entire pitch. The mark on the knee also serves as visual reference for me to observe whether or not they are having success.

It's as easy then as saying yes or no. On every yes, add 10% energy and on every no... they take off 10%. By the time we get to full effort I then ask them to try to do so via a run-through with everything they have... keeping the eyeball facing home at all times.

That's it. It's really that simple. Introduce the ball once they can throw 110% without it. Rinse, repeat...

They become Aware, able to Respond with succes, and Motivated.

Well now, that's an interesting cue.....

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Getting open has caused more issues than it has solved... although we all know it doesn't cause blindness... when we use it as an instruction it destroys posture and can lead to crow hopping

Feb 26, 2012
Getting open has caused more issues than it has solved... although we all know it doesn't cause blindness... when we use it as an instruction it destroys posture and can lead to crow hopping

Yeah, when I said -Was it their drive or forcing an open position? I meant was this what was causing the issue? My pitcher isn't crow hopping but she is on the entire side of her drag foot and sometimes stops that leg from following through altogether. We have been focusing on a straight drive (shoe laces forward/down) with no effort at all to get open. She has made progress but not quite there yet. I am going to try your solution. Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28