crow hop fix/help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
LSU would love to have her. All of their pitchers now do this.
To the OP.. your DD has some great potential. The people who commented are Aces and their advice will help.
Whenever my DD has issues with stride we break it down.. step by step and then rebuild and have her go at 25% pace.. then 50%.. getting to 100% hopefully with the corrections needed.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Not to be argumentative, but if it's a crowhop... it's entirely a problem with legs, and their orientation... in relationship to the body. Fixing the crowhop in other ways typically results in insanity. The hitch Bill speaks of is a result, not a cause of the crowhop.

I hate being contradictory on here... but having helped 3 kids in the last month stop crowhoppiing in one 45-minute lesson has made me realize how simple the fix really is. All you need is for her to understand, try, and then repeat. But first, you need to clearly identify that it is indeed a crowhop... as suggested by the two rockstars before me.

Mike of course nailed this one. Explain why it needs fixed and demonstrate.
Then I throw some tape at 45ish degree down about their height out and TAKE THE BALL. Then I say, get your foot out to that mark on that mark as much as possible and btw your big toe is really a piece of chalk so as you’re getting to that mark, draw me a chalk line on this mat. Go home rinse and repeat all week. I’ve never had one come back with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2019
Mike of course nailed this one. Explain why it needs fixed and demonstrate.
Then I throw some tape at 45ish degree down about their height out and TAKE THE BALL. Then I say, get your foot out to that mark on that mark as much as possible and btw your big toe is really a piece of chalk so as you’re getting to that mark, draw me a chalk line on this mat. Go home rinse and repeat all week. I’ve never had one come back with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's comments and help! I am pretty new to this board and look forward to many more conversations with you guys!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
LSU would love to have her. All of their pitchers now do this.
To the OP.. your DD has some great potential. The people who commented are Aces and their advice will help.
Whenever my DD has issues with stride we break it down.. step by step and then rebuild and have her go at 25% pace.. then 50%.. getting to 100% hopefully with the corrections needed.
[MENTION=10877]BT3100[/MENTION] are you saying the LSU pitchers crow hop? I haven't seen many of their games yet unfortunately but depending on your answer I have comment to add to the OP.

Thanks,

S3

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
...your big toe is really a piece of chalk so as you’re getting to that mark, draw me a chalk line on this mat. Go home rinse and repeat all week. I’ve never had one come back with it.

I like this cue! May I borrow it?

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
[MENTION=1891]Ken B[/MENTION] I like that you always ask lol. I can't remember what is mine or what I heard from someone back in the 90's or even yesterday. Although, if I say something with a big word I probably heard it from Java. Also, I liked the chalk comment as well and can hopefully borrow it too.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I also just envisioned myself actually duct taping chalk to the toe. Which reminds me that sometimes I use a dog squeaky toy and put it on top of the foot and try to get the kid to drag it (squeak it). I don't have the greatest way of attaching it so it usually flies off and we toss the idea after a few tries. Right now I use a tied up piece of theraband.

Feb 26, 2012
Not to be argumentative, but if it's a crowhop... it's entirely a problem with legs, and their orientation... in relationship to the body. Fixing the crowhop in other ways typically results in insanity. The hitch Bill speaks of is a result, not a cause of the crowhop.

I hate being contradictory on here... but having helped 3 kids in the last month stop crowhoppiing in one 45-minute lesson has made me realize how simple the fix really is. All you need is for her to understand, try, and then repeat. But first, you need to clearly identify that it is indeed a crowhop... as suggested by the two rockstars before me.

How did you present this info to the girls to get them to understand it? What did you specifically tell them to fix the issue? Was it their drive or forcing an open position? Thanks

Apr 28, 2014
[MENTION=10877]BT3100[/MENTION] are you saying the LSU pitchers crow hop? I haven't seen many of their games yet unfortunately but depending on your answer I have comment to add to the OP.

Thanks,

S3

It's bad. Going on all season. They are on ESPN a ton. Their last game DW was watching. She is a casual fan of the game. She said to me "isn't that pitcher pitching illegally"?
Yep..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478