critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Again, these to me are not specific body action that one can practice. If you were to say, 'as you swing pretend your rear leg is dead and planted into the ground. try to swing without moving your back leg.' That would be something. Is that what resist the turn means? Or what should i feel in the rear leg? The rear leg isn't turning, but do you want it to push against the hip?

i want the back leg to externally rotate during the stride and stay there. Like a sumo squat. The back heel should evert a bit. I want that to stay through contact. I want the rotation to come from the middle. There needs to be an eccentric stretch when stride starts from front hip to back shoulder/hands.. have you seen the J Stone PVC progression? The first 2 in the progression will suffice. I prefer a wide stance move from the middle drill. Done with a bit of posture. Either is fine.
Through the entire sequence and MAINLY at foot down through contact I want that back leg to anchor itself and resist any rotation or movement forward. It will move a bit etc. just resist as best you can. Some say the foot gets ‘peeled’ or ‘pulled’ the better you can resist the better the ‘whip’.

You wanna see the hips, trunk and shoulders stop rotation, in that order. That’s force transmission through the entire system funneled directly into the bat through the ball.

Should be fully loaded meaning

1. Hips closed relative to the body
2. knee NOT under the pelvis yet.
3. hands still back.
4. Back heel still grounded.

This is the ‘hitting position’ or FYB.

1591307426081.gif

I used a ‘wring the rag’ analogy before. Picture the hands being one side of the rag and the back leg being the other side of the rag. Now picture that rag being wrung out after the hands past the midline. The hands are going left while the back leg goes right.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
i want the back leg to externally rotate during the stride and stay there. Like a sumo squat. The back heel should evert a bit. I want that to stay through contact. I want the rotation to come from the middle. There needs to be an eccentric stretch when stride starts from front hip to back shoulder/hands.. have you seen the J Stone PVC progression? The first 2 in the progression will suffice. I prefer a wide stance move from the middle drill. Done with a bit of posture. Either is fine.
Through the entire sequence and MAINLY at foot down through contact I want that back leg to anchor itself and resist any rotation or movement forward. It will move a bit etc. just resist as best you can. Some say the foot gets ‘peeled’ or ‘pulled’ the better you can resist the better the ‘whip’.

You wanna see the hips, trunk and shoulders stop rotation, in that order. That’s force transmission through the entire system funneled directly into the bat through the ball.

Should be fully loaded meaning

1. Hips closed relative to the body
2. knee NOT under the pelvis yet.
3. hands still back.
4. Back heel still grounded.

This is the ‘hitting position’ or FYB.

View attachment 18123

I used a ‘wring the rag’ analogy before. Picture the hands being one side of the rag and the back leg being the other side of the rag. Now picture that rag being wrung out after the hands past the midline. The hands are going left while the back leg goes right.
Thank you, i appreciate the thoughtful post. That helps alot. Is the J Stone progression available? i know i saw the starter video where he talks about it but not the progressions. i think there are 10 correct?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thank you, i appreciate the thoughtful post. That helps alot. Is the J Stone progression available? i know i saw the starter video where he talks about it but not the progressions. i think there are 10 correct?

I only use the first 2. Haven’t seen the entire progression. You don’t need it imo. Just ask the board if your stumped.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
FYB with the intent to contract the middle without turning the legs. I want the legs to resist the ‘turn’. Which will put the pelvis in check momentarily. Eventually the pelvis beats the back leg. But the back foot does hold its ground through contact. Does that make sense?

View attachment 18122
Again, these to me are not specific body action that one can practice. If you were to say, 'as you swing pretend your rear leg is dead and planted into the ground. try to swing without moving your back leg.' That would be something. Is that what resist the turn means? Or what should i feel in the rear leg? The rear leg isn't turning, but do you want it to push against the hip?

I don’t even understand what WW teaches. lol 🤪

Oct 3, 2019
Here's the mechanical issues that first jump out at me...
- All-back/all-forward
- Bat drag
- Arm-powered swing
- Soft front side

Start with learning about the proper sequence of a good swing.

Enjoy the ride :)
Geez, she's 9! Of course it isn't perfect but, to me, at least she extends through the ball and finishes her swing. Doesn't that count for something? The rest will come in time with practice.

Oct 2, 2017
"scap load" - Antonelli refers to it as getting the elbow behind the hands. This is seen 99% of the time in good hitters. Please note what Stone says about youth hitters in video three. Thanks again for this post Ernie

- EliteBaseball.TV - In hitting, what is the "scap load" and why is it important to know?

- Lack of Scapular Resistance

- Scap Load

Like that 3rd video, especially concerning young players

Oct 2, 2017
Geez, she's 9! Of course it isn't perfect but, to me, at least she extends through the ball and finishes her swing. Doesn't that count for something? The rest will come in time with practice.
I seriously doubt Eric F, meant any disrespect by that list. Sequence is King and if you cannot get it right, then its tough to progress in hitting the ball as you get older.

Also I don't think the is 9 anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598