critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
We see so many variations of successful swings all the time.. is she having success with her current swing? Is she seeing good pitching right now.. does she have success against good pitchers? I'm all about constantly improving, but at this age you need to be very careful. Body awareness is not always the strongest attribute in a young hitter.. so changing too much at once can lead you down a path which could be very detrimental. There is a lot of knowledge on this site, but you know your DD better than anybody. So I say be very careful implementing changes in a swing where that is already a lot of success. IMO our goal as a parent is give our kids every opportunity to enjoy the game and have lots of success.... not to work towards our DD's achieving the perfect textbook swing. Not saying you are doing that.. but just be cautious.

I recommend sharing your journey the way pattar, Eric, and Clem are in the practical hitting thread.
Heck just pick out the stuff that 99% of the elite do. So much less confusing as the athlete figures out the 1% herself.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ernie,

The arm bar is what people call it when the hands are dead or getting left behind. There isn’t anything wrong with the lead arm being straight. There isn’t anything wrong with her hands positioning. There is just some disconnection and little flattening of the barrel behind her. There is a sequence issue at the heart of the matter. I’m trying to solve a similar issue with my swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

inside full speed

outside full speed

You're right, full speed is nice to see too. Far to often I look at the slow mo to nitpick when sometimes its nice to see the raw speed of it.

When you wring our a rag full of water, using 2 hands is the most efficient way to get all the water out right? Right now your DD is just using only 1 so to speak.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Mankin would say the transfer mechanics need work. In the outside pitch she is completing shoulder rotation and the hands/barrel have a long ways to go to hit the ball. Instead of the lead arm and shoulder pulling back into contact. Connection vs disconnection.

Edit: Looking at the swing on the laptop, she is trying to pull back with the lead shoulder into contact. There is just some slop in the swing, hand path or barrel path.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Great work with the videos Shawn. Did you have to run to Starbucks? Haven't seen you for a while. ;)

Recommend just working that back elbow erniuekru. Takes care of a lot issues mentioned before.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45