critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I like her swing. Looks like she has become a good athlete!

Any issues your seeing?

Ha, yes and always. I would like her back elbow to slot a little better. I see a little bit too much arm bar. Not so concerned with casting, but it is difficult for her to attack inside pitches. She compensates on inside pitches by planting the lead foot a little more open, allowing the hips to come thru. Also, a little too much rotation.

All in all, I'm happy with where she is for a 1st year 14u. There is always room for improvement.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ha, yes and always. I would like her back elbow to slot a little better. I see a little bit too much arm bar. Not so concerned with casting, but it is difficult for her to attack inside pitches. She compensates on inside pitches by planting the lead foot a little more open, allowing the hips to come thru. Also, a little too much rotation.

All in all, I'm happy with where she is for a 1st year 14u. There is always room for improvement.
Nice swings! Maybe this will help her see and then feel the back elbow pulling back (aka scap load) during the stride.

- Abbey Cheek Swing Breakdown

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She's definitely growing into a powerful young lady. I would love to see these swings full speed. too.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Nice swings! Maybe this will help her see and then feel the back elbow pulling back (aka scap load) during the stride.

Thanks for the video.. There are so many good swings and great analysis of them it can make your head spin. This one is simple with it's focus. Thanks

Nov 16, 2017
ezgif-com-optimize-2-gif.14309

The above is where this journey started for me on this forum asking for help. She's 9yo in this simple gif and posted in APR 2016.

DD has a VERY stubborn style in her swing, I've often tried changing it (especially in the beginning) but there's features that just refuse to go away. About 1.5 or 2yrs ago, I've agreed to focus on her approach to the at bat and let the mechanics be what they need to be to ensure balance and smooth movements.

The following two clips are DD breaking in a new 2005 (!) DeMarini Phenix 33 -8 during tee work. First video is Mid-High Inside and second one is Mid-High Outside (her favorite pitch location).

I'm really digging seeing the progression (or in some ways lack of) of a young player growing into a 14yo, still trying her best to smash the ball.

Great progress, looking good. One thing I would suggest is to maintain a downward move to toe touch \ heel plant. She is rising a bit in the forward move, especially in the second video.

Watch at the :13 second mark as JD maintains the gradual downward front shoulder into FYB.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
She's definitely growing into a powerful young lady. I would love to see these swings full speed. too.

inside full speed

outside full speed

You're right, full speed is nice to see too. Far to often I look at the slow mo to nitpick when sometimes its nice to see the raw speed of it.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Bets she makes some infielders wish they were in the outfield. o_O Sure hope that elbow works for her. You just may be able to visibly see the bat speed increase.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I think your right. I think the hands might be left a little behind the body. It’s not bat drag (ok a little bat drag) just a little too much lag. Like you mention a little arm bar. The hands/barrel could sync up quicker, better connection.

And this might be something that corrects itself while facing faster pitchers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802