Critique my 12u pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Her pushoff foot turnout and arm flex are fine. I think both issues, leaping and losing the ball inside, are connected. She never gets her hips back under her shoulders. This happens with aggressive pitchers, they overdo the leaping and are prone to overthrowing, powering through with the right side. See if this drill helps.

Feb 5, 2019
As a catcher, can you see the ball the entire time? Me think the ball could be hiding behind her body for a split second too long. Do you have vid from behind.

Jul 11, 2020
I can most definitely help! I work with many girls who had the same problem. It’s actually a much simpler fix than you’d think!
I offer video analysis and detailed workout plans designed specifically for your pitching goals.
Message me if this is something you’d be interested in!

Last edited:
May 22, 2018

We just got back from nationals and I was finally able to get a clip from behind. We noticed that the arm was coming behind her during the back swing and we are working on correcting that. During this practice session she was complaining of her forearm slamming into her hip.

Nov 8, 2018

We just got back from nationals and I was finally able to get a clip from behind. We noticed that the arm was coming behind her during the back swing and we are working on correcting that. During this practice session she was complaining of her forearm slamming into her hip.

Wow. Powerful. Love it.
She’s doing a lot of things great here.
342b3ab4c1686346006484fee3942f88.jpg

Palm up here is nice. My original concern was her elbow smashing the hip.
28f170f0acde691e5893cd18293504b5.jpg

Here you can see it’s not.
My feeling is she’s having trouble timing the roll around the thigh. She’s in great position. Hand could even be closer to the thigh.
6980e508ee89b48dfdbce2b58c1e3f9e.jpg

Right after contact.
Seems she is just slamming into the thigh.
Work on rolling around the thigh. Pronating around it. Make it conscious during sessions for awhile. Back chain it then go full and see if she can get the timing.

She right there.

I would suggest a padded arm sleeve. It will help with bruising and abrasions till she can get the timing done better.
My dd used it all last year. Now it’s sporadic depending on the day. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here’s a short clip of my 12u dd. We’ve been fighting this leaping issue for as long as I can remember and just recently have lost control of being able to hit the outside part of the plate when pitching to righties. Anything that sticks out that we can address?

I see her leaping rather than striding and planting the stride foot. Does the Kiss Drill video in post #12 make sense to her?

Nov 8, 2018
Her pushoff foot turnout and arm flex are fine. I think both issues, leaping and losing the ball inside, are connected. She never gets her hips back under her shoulders. This happens with aggressive pitchers, they overdo the leaping and are prone to overthrowing, powering through with the right side. See if this drill helps.

You have this in a you tube video link. ? If so please share. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28