Critique my 12u pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2018
Havent read the other replies yet. But I can tell you the leaping is usually fixed by staying closed and keeping your back knee pointed to the catcher initially and at the end of the pitch. My Dd had a leaping issue, and still does occasionally. What worked was footwork drills where I would have her keep doing her strides with the intent of not turning her back foot before the stride and keeping her back knee pointed to the catcher.

Also, I'm not sure if you were already aware, but your DD has a leaning forward issue, which if corrected, could give her more velocity and control. That issue could be worked on by having her get taller at release. However, I suggest you work on on thing at a time. Good luck to you.
I feel like the leaping and what I call the Pac-Man finish are related to the push off.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I have a clip of a John Gay pitcher who leaped. John thought dragging the back foot to hard slowed the momentum. This girl had so much momentum that she couldn’t stop after released.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sorry--just skimmed though the replies so not sure if this has been addressed. I'm seeing an exaggerated effort to open. In the first pic showing 3 o'clock, I'd like to see the hips, feet and shoulders driving squarely towards the target.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.02.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.03.09 PM.png

The resulting plant is somewhere around 50+ degrees which makes it difficult to get stacked.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 8.49.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022
To an extent, arm sleeves help in arm positioning and muscle control which is very important in baseball. Although it might not directly affect your aim or your grip, the compression keeps your muscles from over-exerting unnecessary energy allowing you to play longer and with more energy to spare.

May 9, 2019
I see you are using that stick trick for the hopping. What I used instead was a piece of cardboard, and the goal was to drag the piece of cardboard from the plate to the end of her pitch. Also, another thing that causes the hop is the fact that you need to try to keep your drive leg knee pointed more forward to allow the shoelaces of that drive foot to stay facing the catcher, that way the toe is more likely to stay on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom