critique daughter's swing 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2012
I have read through the model swings several times.

The move is a work in process and she is striding flat footed instead of to toe touch.

Any help would be much appreciated. We also have a pitching video up if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance.[video=vimeo;44330328]http://vimeo.com/44330328[/video]

May 16, 2010
I have read through the model swings several times.

The move is a work in process and she is striding flat footed instead of to toe touch.

Any help would be much appreciated. We also have a pitching video up if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance.[video=vimeo;44330328]http://vimeo.com/44330328[/video]

She needs to get her feet wider after the stride.
She strides by moving her front foot out, instead of pushing it forward from the rear hip.
She doesn't drive the back hip through to cause rotation.
Her hands move forward as she gets to toe touch instead of after heel plant.
She pushes into rotation by straightening her back leg, which makes her head move.
She doesn't stay back with the upper body.

Study this; and compare her body parts at each phase to his.

aj7seqc.jpg

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not bad. Some of the swings are better than others. For example I didn't think much of the first swing, but the second and third looked better. She's a little inconsistent with her movements. I'm guessing you've been working at it for a year or less.

She is getting some weight shift, but could probably use a little more. I'd like to see a little more separation between her hips and shoulders. She also seems to be trying to swing with a "level" bat instead of keeping the hands above the barrel. On many of the swings you can see the barrel above the hands, especially on the higher pitches.

One other thing I see is have her be a little more aggressive in her rotation. She's turning, but not necessarily generating power from it. A more enthusiastic approach to rotation (i.e. turn the hips harder) may help as well.

Feb 26, 2012
Not bad. Some of the swings are better than others. For example I didn't think much of the first swing, but the second and third looked better. She's a little inconsistent with her movements. I'm guessing you've been working at it for a year or less.

She is getting some weight shift, but could probably use a little more. I'd like to see a little more separation between her hips and shoulders. She also seems to be trying to swing with a "level" bat instead of keeping the hands above the barrel. On many of the swings you can see the barrel above the hands, especially on the higher pitches.

One other thing I see is have her be a little more aggressive in her rotation. She's turning, but not necessarily generating power from it. A more enthusiastic approach to rotation (i.e. turn the hips harder) may help as well.

She has always preloaded or coiled and gone A to C so this is new. The seperation-Is that also between the hands and hip?
I think, but I am not sure that she is transferring weight to soon because she is not going to toe touch. She also seems to open up too soon. Am I even in the ballpark?
What drills would you suggest?
I know it is going to take awhile to grasp it but I also think that it is well worth it.

Feb 26, 2012
She needs to get her feet wider after the stride.
She strides by moving her front foot out, instead of pushing it forward from the rear hip.
She doesn't drive the back hip through to cause rotation.
Her hands move forward as she gets to toe touch instead of after heel plant.
She pushes into rotation by straightening her back leg, which makes her head move.
She doesn't stay back with the upper body.

Study this; and compare her body parts at each phase to his.

aj7seqc.jpg

Yeah she definitely isn't staying back with upper body and this effects her bat lag.
I see her front foot striding out instead of straight.
Should the back foot be pointed straight or toward the plate a bit in her setup?
I am trying to explain it as you load top down and unload(swing) bottom up. Is this correct?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Playaction,
Just learning like yourself. My advice if you haven't already read the post:Megan 1-Tee started by Immortal and the post: Thoughts on Daughter's Swing started by dukie. This should answer your questions or atleast get you started in the right direction. Start your DD learning from the bottom up.To answer one question both feet/toes pointed at plate. Use the back corner of home plate and lay the bat across home plate so the bat head is on the outside corner and then take our lead foot and place it at the knob of the bat. Stance width is usually 1 ½ times the width of the shoulders.Put a chalk line or tape downunder your DD feet after you determine where she stands.The line should extend straight out towards the pitcher the length of DD stride.This is her powerline and this is where her frt foot should land as she strides out towards pitcher as she swings.This will show you if she steps open or not.If unable to stride straight my have to use a stationary object such as weighted bucket the your DD frt foot will slide down as she strides.Hope this helps to get you started.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I see her hips/back leg just spinning. I don't see much of a hip coil. If she is coiling, she is giving up the coil almost immediately when she lifts her front. As she begins to stride, she opens or flares open her front foot. This is one way that kids can leak the coil.

Front foot flare.JPG

My DD did this when I had her doing drills years ago where she would stride to toe touch with her front foot open to about 45 degrees, and then pause. From that position she would drop her front heel to trigger her swing. Flaring open the front foot like that, kills the weight shift.

In order to get a good weight shift, the kids need to figure out how to turn their hips back as they stride. For whatever reason, some kids struggle with this action. They can easily stand on one leg like a flamingo and turn their hips back; and they can easily stride with their front foot. However many have to be taught to coordinate the backward hip turn during the stride. Many will simply pick up their front foot and turn their hips back before they begin to stride.

The correct sequence is:
1. Pick up the front foot.

2. When the front foot gets picked up some weight will shift back onto the back foot in a linear direction. This backward shift of weight should be kept to an absolute minimum. Only enough weight should be shifted back in order for the kids to feel like they are balanced. If they shift too much weight back onto their back foot, their head will get over their back leg or even outside of their back leg. If they don't shift any weight onto the back foot (what my DD was doing several weeks ago), they will come forward immediately when they pick up their front foot; and they will feel rushed and out of balance. The ability to keep the head centered between the feet when the front foot gets picked up, in a controlled manner; is really, really important.

3. With the front foot in the air, the upper torso and head has to come forward a small amount in order for the head to remain close to centered between the feet. The amount of forward movement is whatever is needed to feel balanced.

4. As the head begins to come forward, the hips get turned back.

In order to get my DD to coil at the right time, I simply had her stride and land on a closed front foot without swinging. This basic drill was to help her get the feel of keeping her head centered between her feet after she picked up her front foot. The cue I used was "try and keep your head centered between your feet". Once she was able to do that, I then had her throw in a quick little backward and forward hip turn, as she was coming forward.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Watch front knee. It opens on stride, you loose you hips (power)

Watch how hands travel past the back hip on rotation, Upper body ahead of lower body.

SL

Jan 25, 2011
Another thing I see and maybe someone all ready said it,but she lands her stride foot flat,no toe touch just straight down flat.I think that will go away when she works on other stuff first.But that stuck out to me,I suggest you what straightlegs video with his dd and look at the elvis move.IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802