Creating or defining a leader

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
From what I've seen over the years, I believe that leaders are born, not made. Us coaches sometimes think that we have a lot more power than we actually do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
From what I've seen over the years, I believe that leaders are born, not made. Us coaches sometimes think that we have a lot more power than we actually do.

If the above is true then there are a lot of classes on the topic of leadership that are wasting their time.

Folks can learn about teamwork simply by observing geese.

The next time you observe a flock of geese flying in a v-shape pattern take note at how they rotate leadership.

When the lead goose gets tired it drops out of the front position and moves to the rear of the formation. This allows the tired goose to expand less energy due to less air resistance. When this happens another goose moves into the leadership position.

The geese behind the leader are honking … … … they are offering encouragement to the leader to keep working hard.

Geese work as a team, with each member serving as a leader at one point, and as a follower at other points, and by working as a team it is believed that they accomplish 70% more than they would accomplish as individuals.

If leaders are born, and not made, then it turns out that all geese are born leaders, as well as followers.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Folks can learn about teamwork simply by observing geese.

The next time you observe a flock of geese flying in a v-shape pattern take note at how they rotate leadership.

When the lead goose gets tired it drops out of the front position and moves to the rear of the formation. This allows the tired goose to expand less energy due to less air resistance. When this happens another goose moves into the leadership position.

The geese behind the leader are honking … … … they are offering encouragement to the leader to keep working hard.

Geese work as a team, with each member serving as a leader at one point, and as a follower at other points, and by working as a team it is believed that they accomplish 70% more than they would accomplish as individuals.

Now that's a good post. Would be perfect if you provided a GIF.

Aug 26, 2015

If that's true, I guess I better scrap all of the John Maxwell books. Coaches shouldn't strive for power. Strive for influence instead. It's much more effective than "power".

Jun 7, 2013
If that's true, I guess I better scrap all of the John Maxwell books. Coaches shouldn't strive for power. Strive for influence instead. It's much more effective than "power".

I don't doubt that leadership skills can be improved. I just don't think at 10U with the limited time that you have with your players where you are spending, probably, most of your time on hitting, fielding, etc., that you are going to develop a "leader".

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2