Create Your Own Swing Pattern?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Do we have the courage to allow our DD's to create their own swing patterns?

Great thinking question BigSkyHi 👍

Heres my version of a similar quandary.
Do we have the courage to allow players to continue using the success 'they have found' without forcing changing it?

Perhaps the most credible hitting knowledge accumulated over the years is recognizing and acknowledging the diversity of people is why there are diversity of successful swings!

Look for success!

May 12, 2016
I completely screwed my DD up. Started teaching her before I knew enough myself, and if I knew enough I probably would of just kept my mouth shut.

DD went from hitting 200' foot bombs as a 11 year old... from ages 12-15 she never came close again. When she was 11, all I taught her was, load, firm front side to prevent from lunging, and where to hit the ball on the bat. I just pitched to her, very little tee work, just full distance pitching. She had a lot of success in her first year of travel ball, MVP at provincials, always hit 3rd or 4th in the lineup. I started yo think she might have a chance to make something out of herself, so then I started tinkering, trying to make her swing better, more technically sound.. and it all went downhill from there.

In her first year her swing was far from perfect.. however it was her swing and she had a ton of success with it.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I completely screwed my DD up. Started teaching her before I knew enough myself, and if I knew enough I probably would of just kept my mouth shut.

DD went from hitting 200' foot bombs as a 11 year old... from ages 12-15 she never came close again. When she was 11, all I taught her was, load, firm front side to prevent from lunging, and where to hit the ball on the bat. I just pitched to her, very little tee work, just full distance pitching. She had a lot of success in her first year of travel ball, MVP at provincials, always hit 3rd or 4th in the lineup. I started yo think she might have a chance to make something out of herself, so then I started tinkering, trying to make her swing better, more technically sound.. and it all went downhill from there.

In her first year her swing was far from perfect.. however it was her swing and she had a ton of success with it.
Ahhh......was waiting for the come-back in the story. 💁
Didnt find grove again?

The story reminds me of players who have two or three coaches, sometimes more, and a parent nitpicking everything they're doing. Plus all those coaches can change yearly.

*imagine if people don't have a plan and stick to it?!

Find consistancy or consistanly changing?!

May 12, 2016
Ahhh......was waiting for the come-back in the story. 💁
Didnt find grove again?

The story reminds me of players who have two or three coaches, sometimes more, and a parent nitpicking everything they're doing. Plus all those coaches can change yearly.

*imagine if people don't have a plan and stick to it?!

Find consistancy or consistanly changing?!
No come back. Don't get me wrong, she still played on a very good team and contributed. But she never found that power again.

And I know you weren't talking about me personally, but I wasn't a parent who nitpicked. At games I shut my mouth with positive reinforcement. But 1x1 time with her and I became too technical, and that's on me. Sometimes I wish I never found this resource, it gave me enough information to make me dangerous. Again that's on me and nobody else, there are some very knowledgeable people on here, I just didn't understand enough at the time to help my DD, and only ended up hurting her in the end. I shouldn't of changed a thing(regardless of her technical shortcomings with her swing) and just kept on doing what we did in her first year. If she struggled, then we could of addressed it.

That's why I say when giving advice, little bits at a time, and pick up a bat and do it yourself before asking your DD to do it.

Oct 2, 2017
No come back. Don't get me wrong, she still played on a very good team and contributed. But she never found that power again.

And I know you weren't talking about me personally, but I wasn't a parent who nitpicked. At games I shut my mouth with positive reinforcement. But 1x1 time with her and I became too technical, and that's on me. Sometimes I wish I never found this resource, it gave me enough information to make me dangerous. Again that's on me and nobody else, there are some very knowledgeable people on here, I just didn't understand enough at the time to help my DD, and only ended up hurting her in the end. I shouldn't of changed a thing(regardless of her technical shortcomings with her swing) and just kept on doing what we did in her first year. If she struggled, then we could of addressed it.

That's why I say when giving advice, little bits at a time, and pick up a bat and do it yourself before asking your DD to do it.

Sounds like me,I have really been focusing on back to the basics and make things as simple as possible, instead of too much technical. Plus really slowing down on adding or changing. Just picking one thing and leave it at that for a while

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802