crazy travel necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
May 5, 2008
Depends on where you are and where she wants to go. Players from HI that want to go to college in HI do NOT need to travel ANYWHERE! The local coaches all follow our local leagues.

Jun 16, 2010
Understand not many girls east of the Mississippi river go west of it to play college ball. But there are a ton of west coast kids that come east for scholarships.why is that?................. simply put its numbers. Numbers of kids that play west are huge compared to east coast or mid west kids.

Weather, playing conditions, year round play. all of this is very attractive to coaches in the mid west and east coast areas that look over kids from their own region and pick up wcoasters. So why would a parent spend a ton of cash to play in Boulder, or at hall of fame or cali?........ to see the best competition.

Mid west kids need travel no further than Orland Sparks in Chicago. Fall Gold in Chattanooga. Music city hits in Nashville, Stingrays in Ohio. Rising star in Fla. If your travel team were to fill their schedule with half of these then do ASA States or gold qualifiers you would be amazed at the amount of hits they would recieve from Colleges from all Divisions.............

Long story short, you dont have to travel all over the country to get them seen or recruited........... just half of it lol

Tim

I think heard that 90% of the schools that play softball are located EAST of Colorado. That is why western players come east, that is where the schools are.

Aug 10, 2010
Well Hello to the world of hell. If you are dedicating that much time and energy and dealing with all the psycho parents, coaches, umpires and snot nose kids; then you do get money off your tuition and now the college coach owns your rear. When all is said and done, yes you saved a few bucks, your DD gets her bachelors and can't find a job. Why do we go to college? So we can brag we played D1 ball while cutting hair at the salon or to get a degree that will land us the job we need to support ourselves. Let your kids do their best academicaly and enjoy sports, obsession is not good. THERE IS NO FUTURE IN SOFTBALL FOR 99.99999% OF THESE GIRLS AFTER COLLEGE. I know too many kids that played college sports and were miserable (burnt out) from the game, because of the amount of time and effort they put into it as a youth, and how the college coaches ride these kids.. If that amount of energy were put into the books this country would have an abundance of scholars. Most kids do this crap because their parents are obsessed, so to make dad happy they dig in and do it, all the while telling mom and dad how great it is. My DD played varsity ball in 8th grade and has been told by the Athletic Director of one of the most prestigious schools in the country that if she stays on track and plays travel ball she would be looked at by many Colleges. She told him she likes to play different sports and rather spend her free time studying. He winked at me and said "you have a smart kid there."

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
lkgrge17, you do have a smart kid, but if it weren't for sports (softball and basketball) it might be tough for me to get mine to study. If she doesn't get all A's and B's, she doesn't play... my rule, and it works very well... ; )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478