Crazy college coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
And they exist in softball as well.

Trenity Edwards documents this very well and is not afraid to speak up about her experiences at Tech. There was another dad that used to come on here a few years ago that shared his DD's experiences. His DD played with Mike White at Oregan but decided to transfer to Tech. He said something like this. My DD went from a laid back atmosphere in Oregon to a program with a coach that screams like a 12U coach. I hear LOTS of stories about Crazy College Coaches. It's actually fairly common.

I just heard that a D2 coach told all of his incoming freshman that they will be redshirted. If they wanna leave, now would be a good time. This coach tends to over recruit and has very high turnover year to year. Parents: Do your due diligence before your kids commits anywhere. Look at rosters year to year and see how many kids come back for each class. This is no joke!

Jun 16, 2010
Coaches are just people.....working a job.

Lower level assistants are trying to build a resume so they can work up to having their own head coach position. Often working for anywhere from free to very little.

Few good ones at juco, d3, d2, are where they are at for the Long haul, they're always looking to move up.

A major D1 coach that made wcws appearances occassionally....berated players, cussed at them. My DD was being looked at hard by him, they invited her to their camp. He threw a bucket of balls at my DD and then told her to pick them up...when she didnt do something he wanted her to do when batting. His own 14 yr old daughter was there and apologized and said he was an asshole.

Jun 8, 2016
He threw a bucket of balls at my DD and then told her to pick them up...when she didnt do something he wanted her to do when batting. His own 14 yr old daughter was there and apologized and said he was an asshole.
Well that is really sad on a number of different levels....

Jun 16, 2010

I just heard that a D2 coach told all of his incoming freshman that they will be redshirted. If they wanna leave, now would be a good time. This coach tends to over recruit and has very high turnover year to year. Parents: Do your due diligence before your kids commits anywhere. Look at rosters year to year and see how many kids come back for each class. This is no joke!

Given 7 athletic holarships....thats hard to do unless they are getting all academic $, or no money. Which is true of many.

May 11, 2014
Knew a guy who's daughter was on scholarship at a small Arkansas college, coach quits/retires during the fall semester. College hires a nearby college's coach who promptly kicks every player on scholarship off the team(in January) whom she recruited at her old college and brought in her players from previous college. Alot of upset parents to say the least

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
College coaches are just the same as other coaches. A variety of good, bad, and otherwise. It is basically the same set of characters you find in travel.

The horror stories/background stories on some of them. Ugh.

My favorites are the ones who have 'left college X to explore other opportunities' (i.e. fired but college wants to avoid a scandal) - I have well over 10 of those who have found new college gigs. One, in particular, has at least 3 colleges on his resume who have all let him go this way for exactly the same thing. I don't even like being on the same field as him - and I am just umpiring some of his team's games.

May 23, 2015
The big issue with softball is that its considered a lower tier sport at most colleges. ADs prefer to get it out of their hair and let someone run the program. Less sweat off their back and it allows them to concentrate of top tier sports that brings money and students in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812