Cracked?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2018
Was inspecting my dd’s bat tonight and found this. This bat has had tons of paint webbing for some time from very little use. But this one is a crack that extends through one layer/color?

30/19
19a1b1b4876cb3fda8a871013e4d0b4f.jpg

8d7b085f9a874396688ad600f8de1592.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I see some spider webbing in the paint and one paint seam "crack". We had a gold ghost do the same thing, still held up for the year. Easton replaced it for us near the warranty expiration (y). The bat should be hot as a firecracker now. Good news is I don't see any obvious shark teeth, which would indicate it's getting ready to blow.
We have a 2020 right now that has a seam just like that running the entire distance around the bat not length wise like yours.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
It is not a crack. It is the paint separating on the “seam” of the composite. The seam is where the last wrap of composite ends. The bat is still structurally sound. It is no more prone to failure than a bat without the paint separation.

However, as Comp said, if an umpire inspects the bat and believes it is a crack, it will be tossed. 😉

It is not a crack. It is the paint separating on the “seam” of the composite. The seam is where the last wrap of composite ends. The bat is still structurally sound. It is no more prone to failure than a bat without the paint separation.

However, as Comp said, if an umpire inspects the bat and believes it is a crack, it will be tossed. 😉

Yep, and usually hot as heck when the bats start showing the seams and spider webbing like his is too!

Apr 15, 2018
Yep, and usually hot as heck when the bats start showing the seams and spider webbing like his is too!

This bat has been hot from day one. Those spider webs have been there from the first 50-60 cuts. It really doesn’t have all that much use 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s a drop -11 that I got soon as they dropped in the fall.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
That is not a crack...its a paint crack. If you take your finger nail, which I don't want you to do...haha, you can actually
lift up a little because you are just lifting paint. Most cracks will not run a horizontal straight line like that as composite is a weave
and when cracked, will crack in a weave type like a shark tooth look.

Again, ump may look and toss it because he sees a line, but like JDaddy said, its not structurally compromised at
all.

Now, depends on receipt time....if it was a month left on the year, I would sent back :)

Apr 15, 2018
That is not a crack...its a paint crack. If you take your finger nail, which I don't want you to do...haha, you can actually
lift up a little because you are just lifting paint.

Again, ump may look and toss it because he sees a line, but like JDaddy said, its not structurally compromised at
all.

Now, depends on receipt time....if it was a month left on the year, I would sent back :)

Thanks, I haven’t tried to lift and won’t. It’s a kinda on the lower part of barrel, not necessarily right in the sweet spot. I have around 8 months left of warranty

May 17, 2017
I would keep using it and when you get closer to the warranty date then i would sent it back . Or send it back sooner if umpires tend to think its a crack .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812