covid and the future of softball and sports for our youth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2013
They've canceled fall sports that were moved to winter in the Richmond areas, Buckingham Co, Charlotte Co that i know of and a few others. We are just a month in 2 days a week per kid in school learning and it's possibly going to cease. The gov will mandate further restrictions soon. I can't see Va playing ball this spring. I hope I'm wrong.
It‘s unfortunate that the RPS and other districts have canceled. Our BOE had an emergency meeting after all other districts around us moved students virtual again and decided to keep kids in school. I don’t know what is in store for our area here in Hampton Roads but I am holding out hope sports will go on. Sports are being played in other states with minimal issues and the benefits to kids are important. That being said, DD plays on a national team here so if HS is canceled I’m sure her travel team will plan on traveling to play as we did all summer/fall. I do think Northam realizes the benefits of letting kids play as he hasn’t rushed to cancel sports yet. DD just attended a D3 camp at the Virginia Beach fieldhouse and 4 fields were in use there for the camp and on the other side of the building basketball was in full swing with the spectator limit in place.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So Cal TB has continued at about 40 percent participation rate (my estimation). Rec ball has been destroyed. TB teams are playing on fields on private neighborhoods or Indian land. Friendlies still being organized but every weekend some other park gets shut down by park ranger, city official or sherrifs. Many teams traveling to AZ (7 hour drive). Tourneys in las vegas recently shut down. With covid numbers on the rise it is only going to get worse before it gets better. I hope that a vaccine become available and numbers reverse and by May we might be able to play legally on So Cal. My DD is only 13 so the impact on her is minimal but my heart goes out to all those 16, 17 and 18 year olds that have been greatly impacted.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Based on what I have read, your DD should have this season(2021) not count as well per NCAA. Am I wrong? What has her school said.

I received a letter from our Athletic Director saying their priority is to have the parents attending in person games and please consider a $500 donation or a 13 month locker sponsorship ($2500) Meanwhile, I was talking to a dad whose DD attends another D3 in an overlapping conference in TX. He said his DD said something about parents NOT attending games. He said, Oh yeah. Who is gonna stop me! LOL! He played LB for TCU back in the late 80's. There is no choke points for entrance to their field. I told him to get a raised hunting chair and place himself in the outfield. College fields typically have screens or solid walls that you can't see through unlike local fields.

They have not mentioned anything (yet) about a 2nd year of eligibility. It's my understanding that this spring will count if they play their schedule, but I could be wrong. Honestly I would be surprised if they play but hopefully I am wrong. There have been some preliminary discussions about fans in the stands but no decisions have been made. Even if they do play it wont happen until March, so I doubt they will make any final decisions until we get closer.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
There was nothing political about the post you quoted and as for ignorant it was your stupid rear that quoted my same post twice before you could figure out how to reply to it.

Hey Schmick, I've been on this board a long time and IDK how you've gotten away with some of what you're posting but I think you need to respect the community. Stay away from politics and religion, just like every civil conversation should. There is a forum for what your saying but DFP isn't it.

I am a red blooded, die hard American and will fight for my freedoms but I also have some class and decorum. I come to DFP for civil conversation (except for the technical hitting forum). Please have some self control and act like a grownup.

May 27, 2013
Read your post.
Your stuck over a log
Theme is people are sick but dont want lock down.
I posted care about people too speaking of myself thank you.
Responded to your statement about not ignoring how people are impacted beyond an illness. Since you quoted my post, it seems like your statement was directed at me. Maybe I’m totally not getting what you’re saying. If not, my bad.

Mar 6, 2018
My post that was quoted was not political in any way, it was anecdotal but so was every other post in the thread before it
And I am not going to be called idiotic by some dolt, too stupid to figure out the quote feature, and not reply back in kind. I made personal attack until I was personally attacked, why aren't you quoting and telling the original poster to grow up?
i think because you dove into what most perceive as politics regarding the virus and pandemic. As the original poster my question was geared to the effect the pandemic/covid will have on our youth in sports and their future past highschool. That was my intention at least.

Mar 10, 2020
The plannedemic is political

If it was just about a virus then why are we hiding inside when going outside kills the virus?
If it were just about the virus, why are they canceling school and youth sports when the youth are the least susceptible to this virus?
If it were just about the virus then why are we forcing children to wear masks now when they don't die from this and not forcing them to wear masks during every other flu season when the flu is far more deadlier to them?

Until we start demanding answers to those why's, softball will not return to what it was.
Bitter much

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

If it was just about a virus then why are we hiding inside when going outside kills the virus?
If it were just about the virus, why are they canceling school and youth sports when the youth are the least susceptible to this virus?
If it were just about the virus then why are we forcing children to wear masks now when they don't die from this and not forcing them to wear masks during every other flu season when the flu is far more deadlier to them?

Until we start demanding answers to those why's, softball will not return to what it was.
Im not saying your wrong for your thoughts. I’m saying you are on the wrong forum to discuss them.

I’m not a mod but I know these types of posts get threads locked. Sorry that you don’t understand that.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston

This post is political. Sorry I hit post reply without content mr perfect. It happens. Anyways. Tall softball. Not your theories about other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802