covid and the future of softball and sports for our youth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2018
Just interested in the boards take on what impact this is going to do for our youth going forward. If we have another spring with out middle school and high school softball what impact will it have on the college game. I'm also interested in anything else related. It will all depend on what areas your child is raised in but it could affect recruitment. I'm hoping things will ease up with a vaccine but who knows. Rec ball in my area could have it's final nail in the coffin if they can't play this year again.

May 27, 2013
Very difficult to say. Guess it also depends on how many college players decide to stay on an extra year (or possibly 2) to play. The 2022’s really should have been going to camps and getting their names out there by this time last year (pre-Covid). If they did not, I think they might have a much more difficult time getting recruited (especially since D1 pushed back their dead period again).

2021’s should all mostly be done at this point across all divisions since it is ED season for college admissions (given they can get in). There might be a few who can still find a home after ED decisions go out and teams scramble for players.

I think right now 2023’s might be having a difficult time as this past summer/fall and now would be huge camp seasons for them. All they can really do is keep sending emails with video.

I am just sitting here finding it hard to believe that my dd might graduate HS this year with only having played HS ball for 2 seasons. The team has so much potential this year, I’d hate to see that slip away.

Bad news is the hospital I work for is almost back to where we were back in April with inpatient Covid numbers. I think we are only 20 patients away from surpassing that number. Another nearby health system just announced that all elective surgeries that would require an overnight stay will be postponed. Winter hasn’t even started yet and flu is just beginning to start. I hope our kids don’t miss out on their spring seasons again.

Mar 10, 2020
Rec ball has bean sealing its own fate for years limiting interest with rules. Now rules have pushed those participants to travel.
If rec in our area makes a comeback it will be a few years from now.
School programs being ran by booster clubs an effort now being stretched at best by empty wallets Will take big donations from somewhere. In California that could mean high end payoffs at the top.
D1 Colleges covered there rear by extending eligibilty. Period.
Private moneys will continue for the rest of colleges.
Travel ball which has continued through this will continue as planned and feed colleges.
Travel has shown the most resiliency. Being ran by the public.

Apr 28, 2014
We traveled as a team this fall and took proper precautions and no one got sick. Funny you never hear about that. We practiced as a team all summer when we weren't playing and no one got sick. I think if the vaccine will prove to be effective that will drop the drama level. Kids aren't getting sick and that's not been mentioned much either.
If the vaccine is effective we should be getting back to normal by next summer.
I think we're gonna look back 5 or 10 years from now at this year and wonder what we were thinking.

May 27, 2013
BT just a question - are you referring to my post as drama? I’d hope not as I’m just posting facts related to my hospital and another big healthcare system in SEPA.

I absolutely do not want anyone’s DD’s to miss out on HS ball again, and being on the frontline, I’m sooo over Covid at this point, as well. I wish it would just go away and I’ll definitely be first in line to get the vaccine. However, there is no doubt that it has put a huge damper on HS sports and recruiting, and with numbers rising it will obviously continue to have an impact on recruiting - warranted or not.

My kids have been back in school full time since the end of September and now have just been told they can’t go back this upcoming week. Their school has small class sizes, took extreme precautions with the ventilation system (increased air exchanges, etc), and mask wearing. We had some positive cases but they were extremely diligent with contact tracing. I am a huge supporter of keeping them in school - unfortunately the county health dept is against it.

Apr 28, 2014
BT just a question - are you referring to my post as drama? I’d hope not as I’m just posting facts related to my hospital and another big healthcare system in SEPA.

I absolutely do not want anyone’s DD’s to miss out on HS ball again, and being on the frontline, I’m sooo over Covid at this point, as well. I wish it would just go away and I’ll definitely be first in line to get the vaccine. However, there is no doubt that it has put a huge damper on HS sports and recruiting, and with numbers rising it will obviously continue to have an impact on recruiting - warranted or not.

My kids have been back in school full time since the end of September and now have just been told they can’t go back this upcoming week. Their school has small class sizes, took extreme precautions with the ventilation system (increased air exchanges, etc), and mask wearing. We had some positive cases but they were extremely diligent with contact tracing. I am a huge supporter of keeping them in school - unfortunately the county health dept is against it.
Na not you lol!
Just covid sports drama

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We’ve been playing in Texas since June and no cases related to tourneys or practice so far. My DD’s HS has about 30 cases but they also have 1600 students.

LL in our area has usually been pretty strong but it’s been declining every year previously so I’m sure this will hurt their numbers.

HS ball is not how most kids get recruited for college So I dont See the correlation on that. Now, if colleges can’t play, then we are in a big mess. My nephew is a freshman and his school just cancelled their bball season. The rest of the conference is playing. this is a state school in a state that has liberal leadership. I’m not sure what that state will do about softball. Or what California will do when it comes time. So far, Texas is a go and there have not been out breaks from the tourneys that we have attended or any others that I have read about.

Aug 25, 2019
Softball was canceled last school year because school was online only. Hopefully if kids are still in school in the spring, even part time, then softball should be played. Like BT3100 said, my DD's team have played since June and traveled 5 times out of state and no one got sick. So hopefully schools look at travel ball and see if could be done safely.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018
We’ve been playing in Texas since June and no cases related to tourneys or practice so far. My DD’s HS has about 30 cases but they also have 1600 students.

LL in our area has usually been pretty strong but it’s been declining every year previously so I’m sure this will hurt their numbers.

HS ball is not how most kids get recruited for college So I dont See the correlation on that. Now, if colleges can’t play, then we are in a big mess. My nephew is a freshman and his school just cancelled their bball season. The rest of the conference is playing. this is a state school in a state that has liberal leadership. I’m not sure what that state will do about softball. Or what California will do when it comes time. So far, Texas is a go and there have not been out breaks from the tourneys that we have attended or any others that I have read about.

in smaller areas with low income kids dont play travel. a lot of talented kids, not just softball, do get recruited through high school. I'm glad my kids have gotten to play this year mostly because of travel. It's killing my boys that football was cancelled and around here i suspect spring sports will be cancelled again.

May 11, 2014
In our part of Oklahoma, I have 3 grandson's and 1 granddaughter, we have not had any sport cancelled. This runs the gamut from softball to wrestling. Individual games/tournaments have been but not sports. It really seems the virus does not attack younger population like it does the older population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802