Covid and team fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally, we close out the fees each and every year. Start fresh each and every year.

We always did the same. We did the best we could to estimate our costs, and charged players accordingly. We typically ended with less than $100 left over. We would have an end of the year team party and would use that money towards it. Then we started over the following year.

Jul 29, 2016
I just sent our old team (which we left a week ago) an email asking them for a pro-rata refund. I also asked for a spreadsheet detailing receipts and costs. I tried to make it as friendly as I could, but it is difficult to sugar-coat such a request.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes I agree and it’s not a small amount, or I’d let it go. It’s about 9 tournaments they are holding money for.

I'm just like you. In the case of playing 9 tournaments less than your team planned on, I'd be asking for money back. Perhaps all the parents can come together and collectively request that.

Oct 4, 2018
I just sent our old team (which we left a week ago) an email asking them for a pro-rata refund. I also asked for a spreadsheet detailing receipts and costs. I tried to make it as friendly as I could, but it is difficult to sugar-coat such a request.

Looks like I'll be in charge of the books for our team this year. I'll be keeping a spreadsheet with dates and every single little item listed. And make it open to any family to view at any time.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
This things are always interesting. I never understand why teams/clubs don't refund the difference in situations like this. The money wasn't spent.

If you walk away from a team in the middle of a season...that's different story. BUT this scenario makes no sense. From a coach/club standpoint it's not worth the hassle, bad blood or reputation. Do right by people and things generally work themselves out.

Jun 19, 2020
Our teams dues are based on what tournaments we are playing that season. We do accrue for tournaments that must be paid in the current season, and played the next. Everything is itemized and sent to the team. It's broken down by the number of months we are paying dues for the Fall / Spring and the number of players. It is mailed out at the beginning of the season and if anyone has a problem they get it lined out early. Non-profits are not required to refund the money; however many will if the parting of ways is mutual. As stated above they should be able to produce a list of disbursements made and fund status upon request. If they can't it's a red flag. As for Covid for the 2 months we didn't play we didn't charge.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
I’d also like to add in, that they were collecting team gate fees as well, when they knew there was a surplus and were not planning on playing after the World Series. To me the whole thing smells fishy, and that’s why I’ve been pressing it with them and the owner of the business the organization is under.

Which I should have pushed back in then, but they hadn’t told us that they were not playing after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee