Covering Batter's Box lines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I was calling a game last week and I observed a batter (right handed!) enter the batters box and starting kicking and sweeping dirt onto the front line of the batter box with her foot, trying to cover the line. I noticed she stood in the front of the bx and her foot was close to the line when swinging. Now, I know there is not a rule in USSSA against it, so I didn't say anything, but it bothered me a bit. As the umpire, I guess I could of told her to stop it, but if the coach brought up the fact that there is no rule against it, could I call unsporting behavior as a warning? Anyone have this before?

May 23, 2015
NCAA baseball has rules about and and I'm fairly certain the same goes for softball. Personally I would eject her for not being more discreet.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Not speaking to any rules, but it seems to me if it's ok to cover box lines, it should be ok for the pitcher to wipe out the front of the circle, bury the pitcher's rubber, and pitch from wherever she wants.

May 23, 2015
Yes I know.

If there's no line theres still a box. Its up to the umpire to determine what's in and out of it. Make it hurt if it bothers you

Sep 9, 2019
Yiu can redraw the line in the dirt. You may want to wait for an objection.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When catching and batter would kick out the front line of box...would wait for batter to finish ...then i would step out and forward in front of plate, yell out something like
"Here we go work hard"
And take my foot and simply with a quick swipe
Re-draw the line.
Not super obvious, casually.
More like my foot dragged a little ;)

It could/would get into batters head.
And more importantly
The umpires!

Jun 22, 2008
Not speaking to any rules, but it seems to me if it's ok to cover box lines, it should be ok for the pitcher to wipe out the front of the circle, bury the pitcher's rubber, and pitch from wherever she wants.
Curious, do you think there is some kind of pitching violation associated with the front of the pitching circle?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Does the front of the circle have any significance other then being part of the circle for the look back rule?

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Yiu can redraw the line in the dirt. You may want to wait for an objection.

I believe this is a rule in HFHS and you can call a strike on the batter for it.
NEVER redraw the line..........but you could eject for unsportsmanlike conduct, and if the coach has the balls to tell me I can’t do nothing about it, I would probably enforce rule 10......you can’t make a farce of the game. Go to the bus coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802