Covering 2nd on a steal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
My SS is really struggling to get to 2nd on a steal. She isn't slow by any means but watching the pitch result and then breaking for 2nd is very difficult she is often a step or two late. Should I be cheating her towards 2nd more? Maybe I have her too far off the base?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
From your description, I would say she should start a step or two closer to 2nd base. If she is still late getting to the bag when she is cheating a step or two it is her reaction time or she is just a little scared of getting in the way of the runner. If your SS cover 3rd base on steals she probably needs to cheat a step that way also.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My SS is really struggling to get to 2nd on a steal. She isn't slow by any means but watching the pitch result and then breaking for 2nd is very difficult she is often a step or two late. Should I be cheating her towards 2nd more? Maybe I have her too far off the base?

This may be the main problem right here - it may be an anticipation/reading the pitch issue. She needs to move before the final pitch result. As a SS you are watching the pitch and then moving to watch the batter if it looks like a hittable pitch. The moment you can see there is going to be no swing because it is a clear ball or they are not swinging - or you see a swing and miss, you start moving towards second EVERY TIME. If you are not starting to move before the ball hits the catchers glove, you may not get there on time.

In younger ages, I also have them go the moment someone yells 'she is going' unless it is really late in a close game or I don't think there is a legitimate chance we get some fast girl out. I don't see a lot of hit-and-runs in softball, so if they manage to execute this, then good for them. In general, if they hit the ball through the gap where you were, then so be it and I will be OK with it.

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks Marriard. I'll starting working on them moving earlier and reading the pitch. You're right, you don't see many hit and runs, but leaving that SS gap open is always a fear. Its the baseball player of 20+ years still in my head from time to time.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
I would take a look at her normal positioning and if it is even possible for her to get there on time or not. My experience has been...often SS is too deep to get there in time. But, If she is way up close to the baseline between 2nd and 3rd...they can get there but often end up in no-man's land in front of the base...and can't make a tag. My preference is first not having her too deep (in a couple steps without shading towards 2nd)...shortens the distance to 2nd without opening a gap..then if necessary maybe a step closer to the bag. I guess I figure they have to cheat one way or another..if they cheat in their positioning before the pitch...they will be less likely to be cheating when the ball is crossing the plate.

Aug 20, 2017
She must expect the runner to go every pitch just like a catcher. When she sees or hears runner is going she must shuffle hard toward 2B with her eyes at homeplate in case ball is hit toward 6 hole. As soon as ball passes batter sprint and get to 2B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802